Logo

Nissan 40HP 1987 Opinion

ReelCat

Contributing Member
Hello, I am considering purchasing a boat that has a 1987 40hp Nissan on it.
Does anyone have any experience or opinions about this model of Nissan?
I have never had a Nissan before....only Evinrude motors.
Should I do a compression test prior to purchase?
If so, how is the compression test to be performed?

Thanks for your input.

Tohatsu/Nissan motors are not identified by year; You need the model. Yes, the actual model/serial (not year), such as maybe NS40C.

Assuming it is a 40C, it was a great motor. Used a lot for racing. However, keep in mind that it is more than 25 years old, and is approaching "collectors item" status. In the US, our current 40 hp parts catalogs only go back to 1992. There are no more new water pump kits available for the 40C, but the bare impeller is still available. Likewise, the carb kit is still available.

Yes, any time you consider any used outboard, a compression test should be done. Standard procedure is to fully warm up the motor, remove the spark plugs (and install the compression gauge), disable the ignition, and crank the motor. Repeat for each cylinder. The values should be nearly identical for each cylinder, and Never Ever more than a 10% variation from one cylinder to another. Specifications are in the Factory service manual.

YMMV.

Thanks for that info. That's just what I needed to know. With this information I will be very leery of purchasing this outboard because of the lack of parts availability..........it might be a good running outboard but eventually I will need parts. Thanks for the help.

I had the current owner check the model number and it is a NS40C just as you had guessed Paul. If it were you would you stay away from this motor because of the age?

Reel,

It all depends... If the price is right, you have a specific need for a 40 hp 2-stroke, and if it passes compression testing, etc., (if the condition is very good), it might be worth consideration. Those were Great motors. More responsive to the throttle than the newer, 3-cylinder 40D. As I noted, the impellers are still available, just not the full wp kits. That means you can keep it running for a while with Factory parts. Keep in mind that a new 40 hp TLDI is going to cost upwards of $5300 plus installation.

I will physically check out the motor this Saturday and evaluate it from there. Thanks very much for your advice.

Back