Logo

W terminal to attach tacho??

matt.speedtriple

Regular Contributor
Hi folks,

I`ve posted several things up on the Honda section before but i`ve just got a new (to me anyway) 28ft Stirling sabre. It has a 6 cylinder turbo charged engine which the previous owner told me was a 240 bhp as the turbo had just been replaced.

Anyway, i`m trying to learn as much as i can about the boat and engine. One thing i have noticed is that it doesn`t have a tacho so that`s my first job and need so advice as to where and what this W terminal looks like?

Cheers for any help and i`m sure i`ll be back for more advice as i get to know the boat and engine.

Matt.

Matt, the tach was driven by a sender mounted on the front of the crankshaft or from the alternator.

What model and make alternator do you have ?? Who marinized the engine ??

To be honest i don`t know a lot about the engine or it`s history as this is the first marine diesel engine i`ve had in a boat. At the moment the boat is 100 miles away from where i live so going to have a look at the alternator isn`t that easy. I want to get an electronic tacho to fit to it but have no idea what this W terminal is that is being referred to.

I have several electronic tachs and have pos. Neg. Lite and input/alt. Or sender terminals. Most marine alternators have a terminal for the tach wire. But not knowing what you have and manufacturer of alternator and tach is not enough info to help you. Also you will need a handheld tach to set up the electronic tach to the engine for the first time.
Keep me advised if you get more info and i will try to help.

Cheers for you help Charlie and i`m hoping to be able to get across to the boat sometime over the weekend provided my other half doesn`t come up with plans for me in the meantime. She can be a hard taskmaster at times lol.

As far as i`m aware then the engine will have had a very easy life as the boat has been used going along at a max of 4mph a lot of the time as it`s been living in a canal here in Scotland. Fingers crossed it`ll perform as it should when taken to sea as it`s got the best part of a 100 miles sail to it`s new mooring.

Last edited:
Matt, i hope you will get this before you leave for the boat ! I think you have an engine built by sabre of u.k. If you can , locate the engine serial # stbd. Side of engine block where head meets the block is a flat machined in the block with letter s and six or more digits just behind the injection pump. I would suggest you do not run above 2000 rpm until you get her back home or supply the above info.

Duh!! Senility strikes again !! I forgot you don't have a tach watch your exhaust at the point it turns gray pull throttle back slowly until it is just barely noticeable. Have a great trip-- i await your reply with the above info.
Charlie

Matt, thanks for the info. This clears up a few things. Lehman was bought by sabre around that time period. Sabre made a 225hp which was sold as a lehman for many years.
Parts are still available from sabre. You are correct that your alternator has a tach. Connection which is listed as "w" in the parts list. There is no w printed on the terminal.
Do you have a parts book ?? I don't recommend moving your injection line as they are held together with rubber dampers without them vibration will break them !
I was service mgr. At lehman so with the serial # i should be able to tell you more about your engine.
Hope this helps,
charlie w.

Hi Charlie and thanks for the info.

The tiny tach sensor is a small ring that opens up and then goes around one of the injector pipes so there`s no need to disturb anything.

I didn't manage to get through to the boat this weekend but will be going through for sure next weekend so i`ll make a point of getting the engine number then. From what i was told then the engine has just had a new turbo fitted and it`s supposed to be a 240hp although i`m never likely to use it but the hull is supposed to be capable of 30 knots!

I haven`t got a parts book but i take it, it`s something i`d be best having?

Cheers for you help and your willingness to pass on your knowledge, as i`m sure it`ll be a great help to me and hopefully to others as i've 101 questions as i`m a complete novice in regards to diesel engines although i've worked with motorbikes all my life.

Matt.

Ok, just back from the boat and what a nightmare i`ve been having. First off i couldn`t get her started so spent an hour getting her to run, then i noticed the engine temp rising rapidly so stopped the engine and started hunting for the impeller housing. What a nightmare of a place to have it fitted under the injection pump! Anyway, after much swearing and trying to turn myself upside down and inside out i finally got the screws out and the cover off only to find this sorry looking item!

Impeller.jpg

Needless to say then nothing further happened in regards to getting the tacho working but next set about stripping off both fuel filters only to find they had about an inch out sludge in the bottom of the bowls and more running from the filters themselves. No wonder it was hard to start!

I`ve ordered new filters and have the impeller here which is a Jabsco 17937 and i was wondering if a Jabsco 17937-0001-P was the same?

The engine serial number is far from easy to see due to paint but even when rubbed off then all i could make out was 431-1 241 but to be honest i`m not sure if this is right as i wasn`t able to see properly.

I did manage to get a few other jobs done on the boat so it wasn`t a complete loss of a day and i now know how to bleed the injection system.

A couple of other things is where is the coolant air bleed screw as the manual says to "open air bleed valve (on top front end of manifold) to allow air to escape". Now i promise it`s not for the want of looking but i can`t find this valve anywhere so could someone post up a photo showing it`s location please?

Second is where would be the other bits of the impeller get trapped and how would i be able to get to them to clear any restriction?

A feeling sorry for himself camper,

Matt.

Matt, sorry to hear your having so much trouble. Jabsco 17937-0001 replaces the 920-0001. The gasket is #890. Lightly grease or vaseline the impeller and gasket before installing.
There are no bleed screws for the anti freeze coolant system on your turbo engine, you must be using a lehman natural aspirated owners manual?
The broken impeller parts may be in the intercooler at the front where two coolant lines connect. Remove the lines and pull the broken parts out with a bent wire. If you remove the three bolts holding the end cover you will need a new "o" ring part #2j6
charlie w.

Back