Logo

Twin 1992 454 Crusaders with 2 year old gas.oil-Recommendations?

nightstalker

Regular Contributor
I'm looking at a 34' Sport Fisherman in April that has been on the hard for the past two years. It was splashed and run twice in the summer of 2011 and once in the summer of 2010 for a sea trial due to a possible sale. The broker and marina mechanic told me that the 100 gallons of fuel was put in the tank in the summer of 2010 and double stabilized with marine Star Tron additive. Additional Star Tron was also added last Fall before winter storage. The oil was last changed at the end of the 2010 season. If I like the vessel and it runs good, what should I do about the fuel and oil? Can stabilizer keep fuel fresh for two or three years? I know that there are only about 10 hours on the oil since it was changed two years ago. I was thinking of adding fuel to what's already in the tank and changing the oil. What do you think? I know a guy who bought a vessel two years ago that had four year old stabilized fuel as well as unchanged four year old oil with less than 20 hours on it that showed no ill effects, but he may have just been very lucky.
Nightstalker

If done with the proper quantities of stabilizer, the fuel should be usable.

The oil change is a no-brainer.

I'd be more worried about the condition of the cylinder bores - I doubt they were re-fogged after the summer runs. I'd be inclined to have an engine surveyor check them out if the broker can't show documentation for everything he told was done to the boat.

Agreed. ALWAYS get a survey. They run a compression test on the motors, which tells you a lot.

If that old gas bothers you (it should be okay), then you can sell it on eBay. The buyer will siphn it out and pay you.

Jeff

if it runs good just use it up. dont add any more gas to what you have. use as much of it up as you can then add fresh. if the gas is bad( I doubt it) but if it is; fresh gas doesnt make bad gas good but bad gas makes good gas bad. I know this first hand unfortunately.

you can probably use it in your cars though even if it doesnt run in the boat. I know this first hand as well. my wifes ford explorer eats anything. lol

You could draw a sample and have a lab test it if you are that concerned.
If the fuel is usable, there is nothing at all wrong with adding new fuel to it.... in fact, this is what we want to do!
I'd be adding the highest octane rated fuel that you can purchase, as to increase the diminished octane value of the 2 year old fuel.
Old fuel looses it's resistance to early flash (reduced Octane Rating = detonation potential) of which is why the Marine Gasser needs the greater octane rating in the first place.

Warmth from summer weather, and long durations of warmer temperatures, takes the greater toll on gasoline by evaporating the lighter molecules and by leaving the heavier molecules. If in the cooler climates (perhaps such as Lisbon, CT Fall/Winter), gasoline can often survive 2 years storage without incidence.
The fact that it was stabilized certainly helps.

Heavy molecules of the old fuel may be restricting carburetor metering circuits.
An easy method may be to used a good carburetor spray cleaner (using the red straw) into the tiny brass orifices that lead into the metering circuits.
These are air introducing circuits at the upper side, and lead into the fuel metering circuits once further into the body.
These orifices will expose themselves at/near the venturi openings.... there will be both low speed and high speed.
Give each a quick blast... allow to sit.... blast again after a few minutes.

This perhaps sounds a bit "back yard" but I'd be willing to bet that some of you have had success doing this.
You've got zero to loose by trying it.

Thanks for all the advise. I know that the engines had the pink stuff run through them and fogged both in the Fall of 2010 and 2011 preparing them for the freezing temps. of a New England winter. I'd go with an engine survey just to make sure they are in good shape if the look see and sea trial goes well.
Thanks Again
Nightstalker

Back