Logo

no water from tell tale

Just finished rebuild on the powerhead on a 95 40hp Mercury. Started it and it runs like a sewing maching, smooth as silk. One issue, no water from the tell tail. I put in a new impeller this past summer. Any suggestions?

Tell Tales get plugged. Are you SURE it's not pumping water? If you can keep your hand on the exhaust side of the power head it's okay.

Jeff

PS: Good time to break out my favorite diagnostic tool" an infrared temp gun.

Disconnect the telltale hose from the powerhead to see if water shoots out. If it does, like Jeff said, the hose is clogged.

two other things you can try, drop the lower unit, and put a hose right on the tube the water pump attaches to, it should gut up through the pee hole, and with the lower unit off, attach the muffs and rotate the shaft by hand or with some padded vice grips. You should see the water come up the tube, and you can also see if any the pump housing has leaks or is not tight enough.

UPDATE: Pulled lower unit, pump is fryed. Take note kids; don`t "test" fire your motor with no water. Not even for a second. The motor turned over for about 10 seconds and now I need a new pump assembly. On another note, anybody know if water goes up to the powerhead and only to the powerhead. Does is come out of the bottom at all?

Only if there's a leak!

Jeff

PS: The newer motors--with their plastic pump housings--have NO tolerance for dry running. TH\he older motors (metal housings) would have survived that.

Back