Logo

Fuel Sending Units

HAPPY SPRING EVERYONE!!!!

Time to break into the ol boating thingy! YESSSSS!!!!

First Question on this year's agenda: Gas Tank Sending units. I REALLY WANT ONE THAT WORKS!!! Should I back off from this? My current gauge (a stick) works just fine but is not COOL! Am I too spoiled???

Blue sea has utlrasonic (non contact) units (PN1811) for about $80 each but you have to buy the $366 multi function display unit (PN422) with it. The display unit doesnt just show fuel levels it has many functions. It is expensive!!! Can those sensors be wired into regular gauges? I bet not... it says ONLY for the 422 display unit.

There is the one brand that is a long stainless rod that goes in the tank. This looks cool and works with regular gauges.. Problem... I cant fit it into the tank as it is 24" tall and only a few inches above it for clearance between the tank and the bottom of the deck flooring.

Well, there we have it. Let me have it with your ideas on gas tank levels!!!

THANKS!

Capt Ron
1980 42' Gibson Houseboat

most regular gauges are made to operate with a 240-30 ohm sensor.....simple operation with the resistance varying with the depth of the gas in the tank.....the display unit pn422 is compatible with these sensors...i looked at the wiring diagram on the pn1811 sensor and there is an extra wire feeding 12v to it....this 1811 sensor also needs calibrating with the display ...i would guess the sensor would not work with regular gauge but not positive...their support number is 800-222-7617.....has this boat been modified?...with a built in gas tank there had to be access to a place for a sending unit.....

another option is to buy a sending unit that you can unscrew the arm from the top ..then slide the arm at an angle into the tank....secure it so it wont drop into the tank....then slide the top under there and screw the arm(attached to the little sending unit) back to the top....you may need a screw starter to hold the little screws. to restart them....tighten them and you now have the unit ready to secure to the tank....you need a stubby screwdrive for this....if you already have a compatible gauge then just connect the slide on wires and you are in business...good luck....btw....your stick is probably as accurate as these units are...

If you just wanna be cool spend the cash if you want some thing that work keep the tank full and get a stick,thats my vote.Iv'e had a few sending units and none worth shooting.

Back