Logo

Eaton Model 16? 1963-1964?

58FourFifty

Hello, I'm new here and need some info about this outdrive. It's on a '64 boat, but maybe built in late '63. The motor decodes to be a 221 Interceptor (140hp). I've searched the web a lot and found comments that these units might be weak and parts are hard to come by. I'd like to know exactly what model this outdrive is and is there an A or B version? (I can't get any numbers from it to help) My plan would be for this to be a regular use boat, not something just for shows, so I'm interested in knowing what I might expect as far as reliablity. I'm open to all comments, good or bad.
thanks
:)
Eatonoutdrive.jpg

my one and only experience with a Eaton outdrive ended in 1983 when i pulled it and tossed it into the bayou...parts were a problem even back then....dont remember model but i think it was a heavier model than the one shown...any outdrive of that vintage needed rebuilding at 2-400 hours depending on model....too much sugar for a dime in my book...

Bump. Does anyone else have any clues to this outdrive? I've read the early ones are weak. I've read that some people have machined new components that are stronger. Is this outdrive reliable behind a 140hp 221 Dearborn Interceptor the way it is? I'm sorry, but I can not provide the model # from it.

I own one. I have the very same engine you have and it is mated with a series 14 EATON sterndrive. these models were either series 14 or 16. there should be a riveted stainless steel nameplate ontop of the gimble houseing. if you see a "14" or "16" in the serial number, you'll know what you have. since it was mated to the 221, its likely the same one i have. I bought my Dorsett Farallon about 2 years ago, removed the 221 interceptor and Eaton unit to rebuild the rotted transom and floor. The Eaton drive unit was frozen in place because it sat for about 20+ years we think. I built a stand for it and was able to free it up by removing the hex bolts and covers, boots, gimble etc and gently worked it about left to right while lubricating it. its unfrozen now but not sure how long it will last when i get 'er in the boat and run it - there is not many of these out there availble for parts either. apparently these units were done away with back in the mid 60s. My email is [email protected]

Back