Logo

Force 125 pistons?

auchandler1

Contributing Member
Looking to swap out a powerhead with a bad cylinder for another powerhead that seems to be in working condition and I was told it was rebuilt. My question is the guy says it has 160 lbs of compression on each cylinder except 2 that has 157. I heard 130 lbs was really good but didn't know if they can get that high but i will check on that when i see it. My other question is I saw some pictures of it which I will put up later and the piston heads look a little black but seem to be in good condition. Now I don't know if this is a red flag saying stay away but I was thinking this is just normal since pistons deal with a lot of heat.

Thanks guys

The color(black) is burned gas/oil.NO problem.
Compression on an outboard.It should be within 5% of each cylinder.
Different guages will read differently.
My tester $100 will read differntly than a cheap one.
Good compression on my guage for a Force is 150+.
The thing to look for is ANY scoring in the cylinder walls.
I bought a 88/125 for parts.Turns out it just needed a flywheel key.
I decided to sell the parts.I did a comp test and found 155# on all 4.
I had the powerhead sold and decided to remove the head to check(I won't sell anything that's bad)and found scoring on 1 cylinder.I didn't sell it.Gonna rebuild instead.

It looks like it could use a de-carb.That would clean up the brown streaks.
If that cylinder has a lot of side to side play I'd guess the rings are starting to sieze to the pistons.
If the price is right it'd be worth it to get and fix up for a back up.
I have a spare powerhead for my motors.J

I felt the cylinder walls and each one felt like better. No finger nail catching on any of them and when ran on a compression test just hooked up to a battery it came to 150 lbs and ran nice. That saying I went ahead and bought it for a real good price. Couldn't pass it up and now I am going to take it to switch out the powerheads. I just need to put a new cylinder head gasket and buy some new plugs for it.

Hey Auch, I just finished doing the same thing. Check out my thread "swapping powerheads" a few threads back. The powerhead I got read 150 lbs on all 4. It fired RIGHT up when I finally got to turn the key, and runs like a CHAMP. Thanks a bunch to jerryjerry and rritt for helping me through it.

jerold, I read your thread before I made this one and it was very helpful in my opinion and made me feel a bit better when I purchased it. I have a mechanic switching everything over for me and he is going to work on the carbs since we believe it was the problem with my old powerhead a while back. He says it will be done by the end of this week so l am hopeful.

Jerold, did you get everything working on it now. Thinking about fixing my spare powerhead as a backup. Should be a fun summer project to do. I'll let you guys no when I get my boat back this week or next. Funny thing about where I live is that I have a 18ft wellcraft and everyone up here has a bass boat, and so, seeing everyones bass boat and then you see mine standing out big time haha makes me laugh everytime.

I haven't had the boat back in the water yet. But I am pretty confident the knocking is something simple. I might take it out this Friday, since work sucks this week, and see what happens. I can't believe its anything major, the motor runs so damn good. I'll keep ya all posted....

Ok guys sorry it took me so long but I have everything back on and compression is great and I guess I will go ahead and get a new cdi (power pack) because 1 and 3 (I belive that's right) is not firing and I know the stator is good and I checked everything else out, so when I get that I should be hitting up the lake in a few days for her virgin test but I am pretty sure that is the only thing wrong. Oh I even got my tachometer working again ...SWEEEEEEEETTTTT lol

One more thing if Jerry can answer this soon but what is the proper mix of oil i should put in with 50-1?

Update:

Went out to the lake and wouldn't start....ahhhh was worried and realized my battery was dead. Got that done and motor started great! Went driving around and the outboard sounded very good. Stopped at the beach and walked around and then went back to the outboard and wouldn't start. Flywheel was spinning great and bulb was primed.. Couple of mins later I cranked it and when it tried to turn over I put it in forward gear quick and she came on...(thank god).. I am not sure if it was flooded or what but would like your thought on it. Besides that she ran good the rest of the day. Can't wait to go back out!

Oh in other news I am making my own t-top for my boat and so far it is coming out VERY nice!! I may make a business selling kits haha

Back