Logo

DP 290 tilt motor relay???

Waterdog247

Good morning!
I have a 2001 KAD44 EDC with a DP-E 290. She has about 1090 hours and I just finished doing a fluid/filter change on the engine and outdrive. The boat is a 2001 Silver Streak 28 Cuddy Cabin. She is on a trailer in my back yard.

Two months ago when I was winterizing, the outdrive would raise and lower just fine. Yesterday when I was changing the oil in the DP, it raised up no problem, but when I was done, it wouldn´t lower. I found a corroded connection on a 40amp Mini 40 Amp SPDT and replaced the connector. Still no movement. Will tilt up, but not down. I switched the relays and it wouldn´t tilt up or down. Switched them back, and it tilted up, but still not down.

I tested the relay I thought was bad, and confirmed my suspicion. After much inter web searching, I was unable to find a marine grade 5 pin SPDT relay. The ones used in the original build were automotive grade. Would any one know if there are marine grade sealed relays for this particular application?

Additionally, can anyone point me to a wiring diagram for the KAD 44 and or the tilt motor assembly?

Thank you for any info!

James

I always use bosch automotive relays, they are sealed too.
to test bypassing the relay: blue=up, green=down, put 12v positive to the color for the direction you want to go and ground the other wire.

James, just an FYI, next time you have the drive resealed, have the main drive gear removed from the bearing box. The BB must come out anyway when this FWD-most seal is replaced.
Inspect the two bearings.
By this many diesel powered engine hours, these may need to be replaced. You don't want to loose one of these!

As for the five pin relay.... five pin is five pin. Use a good plastic encased relay, and you should be OK.

Back