Logo

430b engine oil change, what spec of oil by today standards?????

mcw

Contributing Member
Hi all
Im in the process of getting me 430b v6 1992 engine all serviced up and ready for April, just about to do a complete filter change inc oil and im now unsure of what oil to use, the manual say SAE 20w/50 or 15w/50, but i have seen on the net they recommend 25w/40, also what are the differences between marine engine oil and normal auto oil, currently last year the boat was run with a good quality 20w/50 spec shell oil and the engine performed great not one drop burnt away and no top up needed at all.:)

So my question is what SAE spec of oil should i go for by todays standards in oil specification, the manual now is old so i would of thought the spec would change becuase oils are so much better than 15 years ago.:confused:

My second question is should i stick to auto oil or try and find marine engine oil in the spec i need, and would i notice a difference in the running if i use marine instead of auto oil.

mark
UK

Attachments

• DSC_1980 (800x532).jpg
    DSC_1980 (800x532).jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 2,158
My second question is should i stick to auto oil or try and find marine engine oil in the spec i need, and would i notice a difference in the running if i use marine instead of auto oil.

Ayuh,... Yer puttin' way, Way, Waayyy to much thought into this....

Pretty much any oil ya put into it will work Just Fine....

Mark, your call on the engine oil. I think that you'll do well with 25w/40 .

Question: what is with the risers being fed sea water separately for an open system?
It would appear that the way this is set up, you aren't moving cooling water through the manifolds as quickly, nor as much volume, as you could with the OEM configuration.

11254.jpg

http://www.marinepartseurope.com/en/volvo-penta-explodedview-7736260-26-12500B.aspx

Just curious!

Last edited:
Hi recardo,

regarding your question, i brought this engine as it is shown ie water cooling setup, all i have done is strip it down, rebuild and spray up nice and tidy:cool:

Please feel me in if you think there is a issue somewhere or something is wrong but this is how it was set up in the boat, you have way more experience than me so im listening, how should it be set up, serial no of engine is 4100136783 according to v/p manual page 2 page cooling sytem shows 2 cold water feeds to each riser, serial number up to 4100130994 have just one feed to each riser. ive never realy understood what the extra feed are for, other than for fresh water use i think i read somewhere.???????

thanks bondo i will stick to my normal engine oil then just a good quality type.

mark

Last edited:
Mark, I just looked at all of the Volvo I/O and I/B 4.3L engines, and from what I can tell, the 430B 431B are the only two that were set up this way.
I'm not suggesting that this won't work... just suggesting that you check it out and perhaps see why it's set up this way and perhaps see if there were any issues.

What caught my eye was the four (4) feeds to the exhaust.....one to each manifold, and one to each riser.
It almost looks like a ported spacer has been added.... but this port is actually in the 430B and 431B riser.
To my knowledge, all other AQ and BB series V engine risers have never offered this port.

attachment.php

Here you can see that the ports are part of the riser.
11058.jpg

Look at the OEM Volvo Penta 430A and 430B T-stat housing and plumbing in the schematic that I posted earlier (see below).
You'll see no ports in the risers and only two exhaust water supply hoses.
(430A and 430B T-stat housing on the left ....... the 430B and 431B T-stat housing on the right!)
The 430A and 430B type T-stat housing is shown on the engine.

11254.jpg

You'll see that raw water feeds to the T-stat housing, then any sea water that the engine demands DO NOT require, goes right on to the manifolds, up through the riser transfer ports, and then through the riser and on out the exhaust.

Then there is the 430B 431B (below) that does separate the exhaust supply hoses into two each side.
Note the ported risers.
Apparently this is what you have. There must be a reason for this, but it shows up in these two engines only!
11255.jpg

Last edited:
Hi again regardo
have read through your info given and to be truithfull i still have no idea why it was set up this way, the engine was a replacement from the oriiginal.

Am i right in saying removing/blanking the two (2) ports from the top of the riser will give me more flow of feed water through the riser inproveing cooling, i wonder if it has been set up this way so the pump will allways have a certain pressure of water in the system, if the water pump is trying to chuck more water through than the sytem can get rid of there would be excessive preesure in the feed hoses, by having these extra hoses it requlates the pressure and flow to a level.

I am clutching as straws here mind, im very tempted to blank of and run the boat for a few visits to the slipway, i have had no issue with eng temp, I have rang V/P dealers when i first noticed this set up after purchase of the boat, but as normal the engine is to old for any one comment on or give advise other than spares issue.

From what i understand then removing the two feeds from the top risers will give me more flow of water from the buttom of the manifold and riser keeping the engine cooler when hot, but keeping the extra 2 feeds reduces the flow as cool water is bypassed out throught the top of the riser and realy not used for cooling.???????

mark

Last edited:
1... Am i right in saying removing/blanking the two (2) ports from the top of the riser will give me more flow of feed water through the riser inproveing cooling,

2... i wonder if it has been set up this way so the pump will allways have a certain pressure of water in the system,

3.... if the water pump is trying to chuck more water through than the sytem can get rid of there would be excessive preesure in the feed hoses, by having these extra hoses it requlates the pressure and flow to a level.

4.... From what i understand then removing the two feeds from the top risers will give me more flow of water from the buttom of the manifold and riser keeping the engine cooler when hot,

5.... but keeping the extra 2 feeds reduces the flow as cool water is bypassed out throught the top of the riser and realy not used for cooling.???????
Mark,

1... If you were to do this, you'd be blocking off the port in the lower section of the riser.
Since the manifold and riser have transfer ports between them, and the gaskets are also ported, this would force any manifold cooling water up and through the riser...... then on out the exhaust!
Most all of the AQ V-8's and V-6's are set up this way.
Apparently I had forgotten about the 430B and 431B being set up the way that yours is.
If it works.... I suppose that you leave it alone!

2... This should not affect the sea water pump. All sea water enters the T-stat housing and the engine pulls in ONLY what it requires.
The rest is continously directed to the exhaust and out.

3.... See above.

4.... Correct on the first part, but it will have little affect on engine cooling. The engine pulls in ONLY what it requires.
From what i understand then removing the two feeds from the top risers will give me more flow of water from the buttom of the manifold and riser keeping the engine cooler when hot,

5... Well, this is where it gets tricky or confusing.
I'm sure that the design allows for sufficient manifold cooling. I'm just somewhat surprised that their not feeding the manifold ONLY, and letting that water come up through the transfer ports and into the riser..... and then out!
Like said...... Most all of the AQ V-8's and V-6's are set up this way.

Mark, I'm having a glitch with either ME.com's server, or on my end.
Disregard the last posting..... and read this one.

1... Am i right in saying removing/blanking the two (2) ports from the top of the riser will give me more flow of feed water through the riser inproveing cooling,

2... i wonder if it has been set up this way so the pump will allways have a certain pressure of water in the system,

3.... if the water pump is trying to chuck more water through than the sytem can get rid of there would be excessive preesure in the feed hoses, by having these extra hoses it requlates the pressure and flow to a level.

4.... From what i understand then removing the two feeds from the top risers will give me more flow of water from the buttom of the manifold and riser keeping the engine cooler when hot,

5.... but keeping the extra 2 feeds reduces the flow as cool water is bypassed out throught the top of the riser and realy not used for cooling.???????
Mark,

1... If you were to do this, you'd be blocking off the ports in the lower section of the risers, and then eliminate the two additional ports in the T-stat housing........., or replace the T-stat housing with the other style.
Since the manifolds and risers have transfer ports between them, and the gaskets are also ported, this would force any manifold cooling water up and through the riser...... then on out the exhaust!
Most all of the AQ V-8's and V-6's are set up this way.
Apparently I had forgotten about the 430B and 431B being set up the way that yours is.

2... This should not affect the sea water pump. All sea water enters the T-stat housing and the engine pulls in ONLY what it requires.
The rest is continously directed to the exhaust and out. (this is also why using "flush kits" to winterize does not work well)

3.... See above.

4.... Correct on the first part, but it will have little affect on engine cooling. The engine pulls in ONLY what it requires.

5... Well, this is where it gets tricky or confusing.
I'm sure that the design allows for sufficient manifold cooling. I'm just somewhat surprised that their not feeding the manifold ONLY, and letting that water come up through the transfer ports and into the riser..... and then out!
Like said...... Most all of the AQ V-8's and V-6's are set up this way.

Thanks for your time Ricardo on this issue, really-really appreciated;).

Just to clarify then, if i remove and blank the upper cool water feeds to the top of the riser and the T pipe on top of the stat and just rely on the two feeds that come from the lower section of the riser ie were the hoses are connected to the stat house not the T section on top of the stat housing, my engine will be set up as other aq v6-v8 engines.

i would like to do some testing with it set up this way, just to see what happens, i can only think that this will improve my cooling as there is more water flow through the risers.

I hope i understand this correctly

mark

Thanks for your time Ricardo on this issue, really-really appreciated;).

Just to clarify then, if i remove and blank the upper cool water feeds to the top of the riser and the T pipe on top of the stat and just rely on the two feeds that come from the lower section of the riser ie were the hoses are connected to the stat house not the T section on top of the stat housing, my engine will be set up as other aq v6-v8 engines.

i would like to do some testing with it set up this way, just to see what happens, i can only think that this will improve my cooling as there is more water flow through the risers.
Mark, I do believe that by routing all cooling water through the mans first and then onto the risers may improve heat removal.
However, I don't believe that I'd change it unless I also changed the T-stat housing.

Like said earlier......

Thanks Ricardo
Will try and pick up a state houseing, but second hand parts for these engines in blighty are like rocking hose s!"t, i thought may be another way just for testing is to place a ball vale on each top feed hose this way i can test by closeing the valve off to test, but reopen the valve if needed or for other reasions unknown to me at the moment.

Thanks for spotting it and makeing me aware of the setup, you see more different engines than me.

i will let you know if there is any inprovements when tested.

mark

Back