Logo

Bf75d

cmoffatt

Hi all,

Looking for some likely causes to the following that I notice on inspection of my outboard. Motor is used regulary and has 360 hours clocked up. Regulary doing long range trips at times motoring all day, after every trip I do a basic look over for anything that stands out, noticed the following after the last 2 day trip

1. Cracked Thermostat cover on two sides of the top - thermostat hasn't been touched to date. This is the Thermostat hidden behind the ECM
2. Oily film leaking around the starter motor where it bolts to the motor
3. Black streak running from the lower mount housing that covers the lower bushes

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers

Pull both thermostats and check them out. Seeing that you are in Australia and are probably in salt water, they probably need changing. They are two different thermostats, so be sure to order the correct ones and put them in the proper location. Also, get a new thermostat cover.

More importantly, pull your starter (be sure to disconnect the battery). Look inside the flywheel area and check for water and/or oil. If there is any, the powerhead will have to be pulled and checked. If there is water or oil in that area, it will only get worse. One of the first things that will fail is your starter.

If your motor is still under warranty, this should be covered under warranty unless there is some unusual circumstance. I am not sure how flexible Honda is in Australia, however, the dealer should not have to do any additional work (once they look inside the flywheel area) until they talk with Honda and get permission to proceed under warranty. If for some reason, Honda will not cover it, then you can decide what you want to do from there.

Mike

Cheers Mike - have motor booked in with a Honda dealer next week.

If oil or water in flywheel area what would be the likely cause? There have been no alarms or motor running issues to date. Also if faulty thermostats would that bring on heating issues and alarms?

No evidence of water when engine oil checked with dip stick

Cheers

Last edited:
Back