Logo

Perkins M92 Batteries

pillhobbler

Hi all,
Our Perkins sabre m92 has had some starting problems and turns over slow and just fires after new batteries have been fitted but the fitter has installed 100ah 900 cc which I think are to small? Im sure the old batteries where 125ah and were not a problem untill they were past it with age.
All the terminals are ok and she has had a brand new starting motor fitted 2 months before the batteries being changed.
What I would like to know is the correct size for this engine please if anyone can help.

Many thanks.

Phil, did you ever get a reply to this. I have an M92 and basically the same issues. I have been told this is an inherent fault with Lucas starters and there is other manufaturers that make compatable starters that do not require quite the extreme battery requirements the Lucas does. I would gladly buy this starter if I could find it. Anyone have any answers?

Cheers

Mark

MARK, THE PROBLEM MOST LIKELY IS THE START SOLENOID. IT HAS A COPPER DISC THAT MUST MAKE CONNECTION TO TWO COPPER CONTACTS, IF ONE ONLY MAKES CONTACT THE STARTER RUNS AT HALF SPEED.
TRY CONTACTING ARCO MARINE, WWW.ARCOMARINE.COM YOU WILL NEED THE #'S OFF YOUR STARTER.
CHARLIE W.

Hey Charlie, Thanks for the tip. I will definitely dig up the numbers and contact them but I doubt it is that unless it was bad from the start. Of course I guess that is possible. It (the Half Speed) does sound like a symptom of what I have so I am definitely not ruling it out.

Thanks for the tip. I will post back if I find out that is indeed the problem.

Cheers

Mark

Back