Logo

Anyone knowledeable about pulling the transmission off a Gray Marine 100 or 109?

am in the process of removing my transmission from my 1956 Gray Marine 100 from my 1956 Lyman 18.3' "Runabout".

It's my first extensive engine rebuild attempt. Got the head and exhaust manifold already off, and already hot tanked and cleaned, primed and Repainted with Gray Marine "Phantom Green" (from Van Ness Engineering) Now I want to remove the transmission.

I have removed all the bolts, and tried some light prying. to have the trannie slide back. (I have a sturdy soft landing prepared only inches below it.) The only problem, is that that after the bolts easily came out (they were still well greased), the trannie is not yielding off the block with some light prying with a stiff putty knife at the seal.

I can get more agressive with my prying with a more persuasive sharpened cats paw pry bar, but I don't want to break anything, and am wondering if I should have anything internally disconnected from inside the inspection plate. I can enclose illustrative photos if necessary. -Alan Briggs, Canajoharie, NY [email protected]

Back