Logo

New 17' pontoon

Josh Peine

Just bought my first boat. It came with a 2009 mercury 9.9 bigfoot. I was told by a local marina that i was barley going to move with this motor. I kind of knew this going into the purchase so i anticipated buying a new one. I know absolutely nothing about boats or motors so ill probably be asking a lot of questions here.

1. Im looking at a 2010 mercury 2 stroke. My question is do i have to replace all of the controlls from my current setup if i buy this motor?

2. Ive been reading about 2 stroke vs 4 stroke and im having a hard time justifying why i should spend the extra money on a 4 stroke. From the places ive looked it seems like i can get a 2 stroke about 5/6 years newer for the same price as a 4 stroke.

3. How much does it approximately cost to have the motor installed?

4. About what is the 9.9 worth? 4 stroke, long shaft, remote

Thanks for any help someone can provide

If you stick with the same brand and years of production (+ or - five years) the controls should interchange (but you should check first).

Two strokes make better mid-range power than a 4 stroke, which is what you need; they also burn more gas (usually. The modern EFI motors are much better.)

Here's what I'd do: Find out the max hp allowed for your 'party barge'--it's on the capacity plate--and get close to it. Underpowered boats burn more gas and are less fun.

Jeff

Depends on what is meant by " barely going to move "--------------Many heavy 4000 LB sail boat move at 6 knots with a 9.9.---------------If you want to ski with it you will needs lots of ponies ( likely a 100 of them ) , many folks are happy to move a party barge at 6 knots.

Back