Logo

1984 evinrude 140 v4 does anyone know what my WOT RPM's should be?????????

tjrussell311

i have had this motor only for a few days and i want to make sure im getting all its got, but also keeping it where it should be. i cant find any manuals on this motor, every where i look on the web it only shows a max horse power of 130 for the four cylinder, but thats not true because i have a 140 v4.LOL..... I have been told any where from 4800 to 5500 rpm's but i was just hopeing to find the exact range on here. any help would be great, thanks

Try looking for a sticker or tag somewhere on the motor.A metal tag might have the RPM's on it.
I think 5300-5500 is the max for your motor.
What is it doing now?
6 gal of fuel 1 adult 1 child a cooler with food and drink.The usual equipment.Then go for a ride.
Read the RPM at WOT and post.
What pitch prop? Alum or SS?

well, it had a ss 17 on it and it was tacking around 6200 at wot. with two people on board and gear. it sounded too high so monday i switched to a alum 21 and i also added a 10" jack plate because my boat wasnt getting up on the pad like it should, when i ran it yesterday it got up on its pad very well and my rpms dropped to 5100 to 5200 but, i lost about 5 mph, i was thinking if my max rpm at wot is 5500 i can drop to a 19 pitch and maybe get my speed back up. i think.........

i wounder why i cant find a v4 140 anywhere on the web, even on here if i put in my year model and v4 it only shows up to a 130? i can, however pull it up on here with the model number.i would love to find a pdf download of the owners manual.

try searching the web on ''evinrude 140 looper'' and play with the search argument....i drew a blank also on the manuals but i did finds some guys discussing a 1990 140 that said it was rated at 5-6000.....6250 would be too high for any evinrude v4 of that vintage is my thinking....you said it sounded too high....with experience that sound means a lot...you can tell when an engine is over revving....i would run 5500 max until i found it in writing that its rated for 6000...

i stand corrected on the looper bit.....the 1984 is a crossflow....still no info on max rpms though...

the way the cylinders are charged and purged......crossflow will have more torgue at low end of hp range....its the low end today anyway....a 130 was considered a large engine back then....cheaper to build than a looper and uses more gas...

wow, i learn somthing new every day, lol thanks for the help. if you do happen to run accross a site that has my manual give me a shout. do you think that my speed will pick back up if i put a 19 pitch prop on? that should put my rpms around 5500.

Straight from the 84 " factory brochure "---------140 HP at 5000 RPM -----------------Operating range is 4500 to 5500 RPM.----Factory manual should be easy to get !!-Look on ---shop.evinrude.com ------Look under literature and find phone # for Ken Cook company.----------------If it still has VRO oiling I would get rid of it ! ------These motors had what are called " pressure back " piston rings and many of them suffered from broken rings.--------------If it has never been apart for repair I would not run it above 5300 RPM.

Last edited:
Back