Logo

1988 Crusader 220, twin engines Chevy 305

After the harness re-wiring was completed I wanted to do the dry crank on left engine. Prior to this point I tried cranking this engine two weeks ago but could not move the fly wheel with a starter, instead the starter was locked and the humming occurred causing the battery terminal to smoke. I thought it was the starter and I took it to the rebuilder, but he said that starter had some corrosion build up but no major defects. Well, after reinstalling the starter and re-wiring the harness through the terminal board, I tried to crank the engine again but the same thing happened. The starter locked without cranking, the humming began and the smoke on battery terminals occurred. I could not disengage the starter with ignition switch but only with battery switch to off. Is my engine frozen or what is causing this problem? How can I check to see if the engine will rotate without power? Your help and advice is appreciated greatly! Gene

You might have water in the cylinders due to a manifold or head gasket leak. Pull all of the plugs and try again.

Good luck!

Jeff

And rather then taking a chance in ruining your starter, if you have a spot to get at the fly wheel then try turning it with a pry bar. Just be carefull because you dont want to break a tooth on it.

So I understand. When you go to crank the engine over the starter just hums and the battery connections start to smoke and the only way to stop this is to turn off the battery?

First it sounds like you have an electrical problem. The only way the cable and batteries would smoke would be that the starter is energized constantly and trying to spin a locked engine or weak batteries trying to spin an engine and welding the solenoid contacts in the on position.

Re check your wiring. Is your solenoid divorced from the starter and are the battery cables connected correctly? Are any wires shorting together on the solenoid or the ignition switch?

With 500 plus amps trying to spin over a locked motor, the contacts in the solenoid can weld together.

Jeff

Thank you guys! Most logical would be electrical short as implied by Chris. It is true that batteries were low (11.87 V) when I tried cranking and, possibly, caused the solenoid contacts to weld. Now batteries are being charged and expect to see them today at full charge. I will re-check the wiring for possible short between terminals on ign. sw. and starter. Should I remove the spark plugs, push the fly wheel with pry bar to check for free movement and (if engine turns) then crank the engine with ign. key to see if it will turn freely?
Thanks

Well, I pulled the plugs out and tried turning the engine but it won't budge. I asked the mechanic in the marina about this and he said it is a common problem with saltwater engines because of the moisture, if they are not run regularly. He suggested that I pour in all cylinders and carb venturies the Marvel Mystery oil and let it seat for a week, then rock the fly wheel back and forth several times until completely unfrozen, drain the oil, refill with new and crank the engine. He said he had very good experience with many such problems and believes this oil will do the job. Tomorrow, I'll do just that, and in a week or so, I'll report my outcome.
Wish me luck, please!

Thanks Ricardo- too bad as it was an interesting topic, very similar to what happened to my old AMC 327's. Couldn't free up them either.

Back