Logo

Yamaha 200 hpdi problem

Ell

I have a yamaha 200 hp hpdi. I can start the engine up and it runs fine. When I reach 3000 rpms the engine dies. It starts right back up and runs fine until 3000 rpms again. Any ideas?

The fuel is in good condition and the fuel pressure is good while running so I dont expect it to be that. VST usually will show low fuel pressure when the filter or motor is gummed up. It does it at exactly 3000 rpm's and dies. Doesn't sputter or run rough.. So im leaning more toward a sensor. Idk just checking maybe if someone knew of a common problem.

Get a diags program to check the sensors. HPDIs need CLEAN fuel. You have a host of filters, including at the non servicable high pressure pump assembly. Either check the fuel pressures at all three pumps. Low. Medium and high. The only way to check the high side is with a diags program that will read pump pressure from the sensor in the high speed pump. Do a leak down or compression check first. Check to make sure you have six sparks. Unplug the injector plugs one at a time with the engine in gear, hopefully tied to the dock or in a test tank and see if they are all working correctly. These engines will run with VST fuel pressure and then fall down at higher speeds if the high pressure pump is blocked or not functioning.

Back