MarineEngine.com - Your online store for all types of marine engines and boat parts.
PHONE ORDERS
Monday - Friday
9:00 AM - 5:00 PM EST
Click for TOLL-FREE Number
Online Checkout
Special $9.95 Flat Rate Shipping
(800) 209-9624 | Home | Contact | Shipping | Returns | Cart View your shopping cart.
Part Number Search
Shop by engine/drive part number.
Original & matching parts for sale.
Manuals & Accessories
Shop by description, item number
or manufacturer's model number.
Boat Repair Forum Boat Repair Forum   Boat Video Gallery Video Gallery

Get instant online access to repair manuals for your Mercury / Mariner outboard. Online Manuals
MercuryMariner
Order printed Mercury / Mariner service manuals — shipped to your door! Printed Manuals
MercuryMariner
Use engine diagrams to find & order parts for your Mercury / Mariner engine. Engine Diagrams
MercuryMariner
Find parts quickly with Mercury application guides. Quick Parts Guide
MercurySierraCDI

Default Mercury trim gauge not working ?

I HAVE A '98 MERCURY 150 ON A HURRICANE DECK BOAT, I JUST REPLACE THE TRIM SENDER ASSY. AND THE GAUGE IS STILL NOT WORKING. CAN IT BE THE GAUGE? IF SO HOW DO YOU TEST IT, TO SEE IF IT WORKS. IT'S A TELEFLEX # 59646
    Last edited by cocomo; 02-02-2012 at 08:33 PM.

Default Re: Mercury trim gauge not working ?

Welcome to Iboats; First make sure you are getting 12V + and Grd from the sender at the gauge with a test light or Muilty meter. If good test the wire from the sender to grd as you trim the motor up and down,with ohms scale on muilty meter, reading should change as the motor is raised and lowered. If test reading dosen't change, test wire from gauge to sending unit for continuty. if all check out good then gauge is bad.
    Oldman570

Will give that a try. Thanks

just ground your sending wire, if it pegs the gauge it works. if not replace the gauge.

Welcome to Iboats;
    What are you smoking?
    Fix minor things (replace wear items for preventative maintenance.) that cause major problems before they break.

Hi oldman,
    i'm not to hip when it comes to electric stuff. I used the test light and checked the brown/white ( sender wire ) at the motor and i get nothing. When you check the gauge with the test light, do you clip on to the ground post then the sender wire, and the test light should come on, right.

Quote Originally Posted by guyjg View Post
    What are you smoking?
    Sorry Guyjg! Forgot where I was at.
    Yes the test light should light with the light accross the + and sending termson the gauge, and the motor in the down position with key switch on. If it dosen't light then you have a problem with the wire from the gauge to battery supply or wire from gage to sending unit.
    Oldman570

I will check it out.

Oldman...NBD!

Cocomo: This is simple trouble shooting 101. W/all due respect if you and anybody else doesn't understand it I suggest that you read a book on simple DC circuits or sign up at the local vocational school for Intro. to DC Circuits 101. You will be glad that you did it since it will help you understand how the engine's electric systems work and make it easier to repair.

The trim position sender is a simple potentiometer or variable resistor. Its movement varies the voltage sent to the guage to show the position of the drive in the water. That's why mertech said
    just ground your sending wire, if it pegs the gauge it works. if not replace the gauge.
    By doing that you are removing the position sender from the circuit.
    Fix minor things (replace wear items for preventative maintenance.) that cause major problems before they break.

Hi oldman,
    to see if i was getting power to the trim gauge, i went from ground to ignition terminal and test light came on, then tried the ground and the sender terminal.that did not light up. I removed the gauge to check it out, and notice that the rubber seal was pulled away from around the rim, so i put the glass part of the gauge in 1/4 in. Of water and water got inside lens. If nothing else worked , can i assume the proplem is the trim gauge ?

Sounds like you need a new gauge now.

I JUST REPLACED THE TRIM GAUGE AND IT'S WORKING. BOTH THE SENDER SWITCH AND GAUGE WERE BAD.THANKS TO ALL

Glad it is working. Come back anytime if you have anymore troubles.
    Oldman570