Logo

Help!!! I have 99 Merc Bigfoot 40hp 4 stroke pull start. I want to convert to elec start???

Lupe Jackson

I have ignition already installed I use it as my kill switch and its hooked up and ready to go. I am thinking all I need is starter and flywheel? Is there a kit? Where can I get the parts etc? Any info would be appreciated. My motor may be a 97 instead of 99.

Last edited:
Wow, that's a lot of work and money involved. You are actually more skillful than an actual mechanic! I usually recommend my customer to sell the pull start motor, add a few hundreds and get an electric start motor.
I don't believe there's a kit that includes the flywheel. The only kit is the electric starter and its relay/solenoid, harness, etc...
Have you located the place to mount the electric starter motor on that Bigfoot so that it will engage your new flywheel properly yet???

A mechanic told me I needed a starter and flywheel. There are hole for mounting the starter. I would think it would not be that complicated since the motor only needs a few things and I already have ignition ready. I found a flywheel for $100 and a starter for $100.

Last edited:
As long as the flywhee and starter are from another motor as yours they will work. You will also need the a selinoid , battery cables and a charging system or charge the battery all the time.
Oldman570

If the flywheel has a stator and trigger do you have the voltage regulator for battery charging? You are in God's Country at Lake Cumberland; there should be a supply of donor motors at all of the local dealerships in Somerset.

I have found the starter and flywheel and will charge my battery. I did find kits on ebay that run between 3-5 hundred. I am gonna look around locally and get what I need. Yes, I live in God's Country! 5 minutes from Lake Cumberland. 30 minutes to Green River Lake and 45 minutes to Dale Hollow Lake.

Back