Logo

throttle stiff?

spospo2002

I have a 1999 Yamaha B90TLRX. It is very hard to start the throttle up. I have to tap the thottle lever & almost always, throws back the anchor man. I have adjusted at tensioner at back of throttle control with no luck. I see the thottle cam on motor at idle is just below point (bend) on cam & it's hard to get past bend. after it does, it works fine. If I try to adjust idle to be at tip of cam bend, it's idled too high. Any opinions on what I should do?

Probably, not too many understand your description of the problem to respond. Is the restriction inside the control box, the cables, other shift linkage or the timing base? Which part is restricted?
To find out which part, disconnect both cables at the motor and shift the control lever. If all move freely, now reach inside the motor and shift the gear and throttle with your hand. You need to find out which part is not moving freely by disconnect one part at a time and move it separately.
If after disconnected the shift cables, it's still hard to shift, then it's inside your control box or cables...

It appears after disconecting throttle cable, the control shifts & moves fairly easy. When I push the acc.cam on motor (by hand), it binds up till it goes over the tip of cam.

Hello, I have a similar issue. The motor shifts into gear just fine except when you want to throttle up; the lever doesn't want to move any further. Reverse works just fine. I disconnected the two cables and I could still shift the gears and move the throttle back at the engine just fine by hand and the throttle lever moved freely when the cables were disconnected. I reattached them and I could throttle up but it's still very stiff. Is it possible something is binding up inside the control box or the cables are bad? Thank you for you assistance!

Back