Logo

Mariner 25 tiller steering, should I bolt to transom ?

Beesaman

Contributing Member
Hi guys,
I have a bonwitco 300, 12ft 9 inches length.
I will only be using this inshore, should I bolt to the transom ?
The hull is double skinned, there is no access for a nut and bolt, I think it would have to be hex headed screws.
I welcome your advice please, as most people seem to regards this as a "lightweight " motor.

i would drill and bolt to transom....nothing like a running motor coming into the boat with you after hitting a log....no problem if it goes the other way....it dies when it goes into the water...ashamed to say i been there about 50 years ago...

Beesaman; Just use the clamps on the motor and place another wood or metal plate on the inside of the transom to heep the clamps from tearing it up and help stiffen the transom. Most motors have a hole in the transom bracket that a chain can be padlocked thru, and run the chain to a transom brace. by doing the chain deal you will have no holes in your boat, and the motor will not go in the drink if it ever comes lose or you hit anything. By doing as suggested you can change motors if the one you have goes bad and not have to worry about filling in hole that won't work with another motor. Over here most motors under 40 HP are just clamped on as we have a habbit of switching motors or working on them often.
Best of Boating, Oldman570

If you have the screw down clams with a hole in them.Then tighten them as much as possible.Then try to stop them when their ends are straight across.Then you can fit a padlock in the holes.It stops them from loosening.
Any bolts would need to be stainless or at the least galvanized.
It's hard to believe that there is no access to the transom?????
Most boats have an access port or deck plate.Maybe you can install one so you can reach the through bolts.J

Hi Jerry,
Thanks for your advice.
Yes, I have those turn screws I will do as you say.
The boat is double skinned, I only have access from outside the transom, there is a small motor well, as I call it, but this is high up.
I could always send you a pic if you are interested ?
Kind regards

they build a little bracket that slips over the tightening wings on the motor....tighten them and get them parralel and this things slip over them and has a key and lock....its an anti theft device...had one long ago and finally trashed it when i went to larger motors....one word of caution on placing a padlock through those holes on the tightening wings....there is no play there and those wings are normally pot metal or close to it.....i have hit something when rigged up like that and busted hell out of the wings and lock ended up in bottom of the boat along with pieces of the wings....

do a part number search in the manuals and accessories on this page near the top on the right hand side......3673051...

Back