Logo

force tilt n trim motor ,should it be swimming in oil

sadman

hi all ,,after my triumph with my rectifier i took the boat out ,,but i have been having problems with the tilt n trim motor ..i took it apart and it worked fine if i held it upside down ,but the right way up it just chugs slowly ,if at all ,,i did notice it has holes in the bottom of the motor so the brushes are swimming in hydrolic oil ,,,,is this corect? dont seem right to me ,i am thinkling the oil is insulating the brushes ,,,,,,,any help please ,,,,,,cheers

actuly there are holes in the bottom of the motor ,,on is a rivet hole holding on brass contacts ,,the other is just a hole ,,looks like they are suposed to be there but i wonder if they were sealed with somthing when new

The hyd oil shouldn't be in the motor.
Usually from overfilling the reservoir.
The reservoir should actually hold pressure.
The shaft seal is probably bad.
Fill out the profile(location)
Sent U a PM.
The unit should be filled while in the down position.

Last edited:
oil will soften the brushes and brush card leading to failure. unit needs to be washed with mineral spirits and dried. Do not use other siolvents that may weaken insulation or cause rust.

on 1976-1987 the armature shaft seal is an 011 size BN70 oring in top of reservoir.
the seal gets hard with age and eventually needs to be replace. make sure to use a small amount of grease
to avoid burning new oring.

on 1987-1992 the armature shaft seal is a radial shaft seal with spring loaded lip in top of reservoir.
the radial seal doesn't wear out. it is the type of part used in car engines that goes for 200,000 miles. the seal usually falls out of its hole due to vibration. wash seal and reservoir with strong residue-free cleaner. scuff outer rim of seal and re-install using a few drops of red locktite.

on 1992-1995 the armature shaft seal is a pair of orings. one is in the housing and the other is in the motor.
this style motor has the square base. it is probably better to just buy a new motor sionce the cable jacket will be frayed/cracking and the top grommet is not available.

Back