Logo

290 dp questions

welshswampy

Regular Contributor
Hi all, just a couple of questions
I'm probably going to buy a 170 hp GM v8 6.2 diesel which doesn't come with an outdrive, but with a VP bell housing
I've found an early VP 290 duoprop with a 1.78/1 gear ratio that was reconditioned around 8/10 yrs ago
1, would the drive ratio by OK for the engine I plan to buy
2, if the seals etc were replaced that long ago without being used wouldn't they now need replacing again(seller says that drive was reconditioned, filled with oil then never used)
3, is it much of a job to replace seals etc on this drive
4, if this drive has sat unused for 8/10 yrs, is there likely to be any other problems, internal corrosion issues maybe(water neck fitting was renewed)

Sorry I dont have the exact model of the drive, but thats all the info I have at the moment

Regards Nick
PS dont now if I'm in the right forum​

This must be you on the BOC.
http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/forum/showthread.php?66640-Which-engine&p=649925#post649925

The low rpm range of the diesel makes the taller ratio work better with the prop selection.
However, it needs lots of torque in order for this to work out correctly.

The 6.2 may require the Borg Warner flywheel cover and the Volvo Penta PDS adapter housing.
The gasoline V-8 OEM flywheel cover will make a direct connection to an AQ series drive if the rear flange of the 6.2 is the same as the GM SBC or BBC V-8!

FYI: that 6.2 diesel was marinized at one time, but is one that I would avoid. There are much better choices that you could make.

Thanks for chirping in Rick, yes it is me on the BOC, I've just picked up the 6.2 v8 diesel
I know that a lot of people dont like the gm diesel, but thats what I've bought so I'm gonna try and make it work ( as long as it is'nt too heavy for the boat)

So hopefully, with all your help, we can

BTW Will the 290 dp 1.78/1 be suitable for this engine

Yes it will, but I'd sure pull the transmission down and look at the two main drive gear bearings.
Replace if need be.

I'd also build the puller tool (seen in the BOC Vault thread) and remove the prop shaft carrier and take a look at the gears/bearings.

May as well install new seals while you're at it.

Back