Logo

coil change

48tony

Regular Contributor
hi I have a older 1970 60 hp. The stock coil # is 0502884. the coil has the wire inside the coill.Can I use a newer style coil that has the spark plug style tip to conect the wire.The old style you have to srew the wire into the distributer as one unit. By using the newer style coil I can pull the main coil wire on and off like a spark plug wire making life a lot easier for testing or replacing?And if so what part #coil should I use Thaks Tony.

From my 1984 service school notes we were told you could use a mag cd coil on a battery ign mtr. All you had to do was cross the primary leads when hooking up. You can remove the high tension leads from those coils.

after doing some homework it shows that I can use part#183-2382 This coil has the spark plug style coil wire plug.Vs the factory 582382#This is a 1970 60 hp and has only 1 coil so I dont think I need to do anything with the wiring as you said in your last post.

Hi, I have the 1971 60hp johnson hydro electric and got new coil 183-2382. Only got two wires tho not three like old one. How do you hook it up. THanks

Back