Logo

yamaha 40 twin(6e9) to 50/55hp

serious3

lads i'm after buying a race zapcat with a 40hp yam/mariner twin on it, 6E9 or 40EM i remember that yamaha used to make a 55hp twin back in the day. i've had a look round here and google land but can't seem to find any info un upgrading or is it possible. i know a few will say change the engine but i'm unemployed and broke after buying it :( please help me as i want to beat my friends with their 50hp tohatsus :) i'm wonedering is it just a jet and exhaust plate or timing? thanks (oh the hull is rated for 70hp so is well able for mine)

Sorry to inform you that the 6e9 motor is totally different from the 55. To my knowledge, and that goes back to 1983 with these motors, there is only one thing common between those two motors and that is the prop.

ah well thats that idea out of the window then, thanks PBRMAN! is it just acase of putting up with it or is there anything i can do to give it more grunt?

That motor is cabable of some good reliable hours in it's stock configuration. It is always possible to get more power out of a 2-stroke but the effort involved and the sacrifice of reliabilty especially with the marginal fuels we have available these days seems like you would be better off just handing some money over to a street person. At least you won't find yourself drifting around looking for a tow back to the dock.

Back