Logo

25 Johnson unknown year.

t-man10

I picked up a 25 Hp Johnson Seahorse from a guy who crossthreaded a spark plug and stripped out the hole.I found no model number on the engine. what I need is a helicoil kit but Im not sure what will accommodate the 4093 sparkplug that I'm using. Any advice on that would be great, I also need a replacement throttle cable, this one is shot. Like I said I don't have the model number but if anyone can identify by pictures, Let me know, I'm posting pictures soon. The guy said it was an 89 but he wasn't sure. At any rate, can't go wrong for $50.
Once again thanks.

The spark plug threads would be 14mm, however there are two different length coils in the 14mm range (3/8" & 1/2"). Check the thread depth on the cylinder head first so as to avoid installing a 1/2" coil in a head that only accepts a 3/8" coil.

Usually there is a small ID plate on the port transom bracket, and also a quarter (.25) size core plug on the powerhead with the same model and serial number. If you're lucky, let us know what those numbers are.

I've been in this business since 1960 (now retired) but have no idea what a 4093 spark plug is. What make is the s/plug and the designated markings on the plug?...... Champion QL77JC4??

I can think of no other areas where the model number might be listed. If the hood hasn't been repainted, a few good pictures of that item would tell the tale. The paint scheme is changed from year to year.

I am having issues getting a picture to load. The whole thing is pure white, on the hood on the sides in bold black lettering is "Johnson Outboards" on the right of the lettering is the seahorse symbol. On the back of the hood is a plastic piece with the seahorse emblem on it as well. As far as paint goes that is it. It is a rope start, short shaft. 2 cylinder. With stainless steel prop. I did find some lettering and numbers on the inside but it wasn't on a plug, it was just stamped onto the side of the block, 05HM1 86356. Other than that there are only part numbers, one of which I need, the throttle cable in the tiller handle is bad, 379206 is the number for that. I hope some of this is helpful.

Upload your picture to Photobucket, then you can click on one of the codes under the picture to load it here. Photobucket is free unless you really want to store a bunch there. The description doesn't help much as most hoods contain what you mentioned.... it's how those items are on the hood that tells the tale.

Thank you for that information, I was going to pay someone to do it but if it is that easy then I'll do it myself. I looked under there but there was nothing, I guess the person who owned it before the guy that I bought it from repainted the engine and took all the decals, ID plates, etc off. I'll be disassembling some of it tomorrow to try to find some kind of identification. The boat and motor were sold together, and the boat is a 1980 Eldocraft. I'm guessing the engine is around the same but I want to make sure.

On the later model higher hp engines, there was a heavy duty decal with the numbers on it..... this decal was stuck to the top rear portion of the steering swivel bracket/steering tube slightly to the port/left side.

I don't recall ever seeing this type decal on the 25 or 53hp models but it's worth a shot to look there.

It would be viewed by being slightly to the port/left rear of the engine and looking at the top portion of the steering tube beneath the hood pan area. Unlikely it's there but as a last resort, it's worth a look see.... possibly covered with paint.

okay i spoke with the guy who bought the motor, Its a 1986 motor, he redid the motor and when he did, he painted over everything and im still working through all of that paint. However i do need a replacement part for it. the part number that i found on it is 379206 but the part that was pulled up says "switch" It is the cable that runs from the tiller handle to the throttle, it is rusted on the midsection and no longer lets the handle twist freely, unless im missing something that allows it to be twisted, this is my first tiller handle motor so i might be missing something. It has two wires running alongside this cable that connect to a red switch at the end of the handle, im guessing an emergency stop switch. And this is all i see in the tiller handle. The cable is the only thing i might need. again the part number stamped into the cable is 379206, thanks for any help you can give.

Back