Logo

New 140 Tohutsu have no power

schuurp

I have a new 140 with 4.5 hours still on breakin.
Boat is a 14.5 feet BR motor has a 19 pitch tohatsu prop but have no power on the boat. May there be a lack of power because the motor is still new, and at how many hours can i expect the power to present itself.

What is the WOT RPM? Does it idle correctly? Who rigged the motor? Is it at the proper transom height? How fast does this rig fly? What does your dealer have to say?

Last edited:
WOT +- 5000* 50MPH
Idle +-600
I fit the motor myself and the transom height is spot on.
My problem is that the 140 battles to plain my rig. The Johnson 70 did a better job at plaining the boat. Out of experience on bikes I know that the new motors are still tight and need some time to run in and only after a few thousand miles the motor start to perform the way you expect it to.This 140 is my first outboard that I have to run in and the power on take-offis gone. With and an extra crew member on the boat I have to ask him to move to the bow to get the boat on the plain. Once on the plain the motor are not performing like a 140. Will the rich oil mix on break-in impair the power? ? *Don’t get me wrong I think the world of this motor* I am just worried I am doing someting wrong and I am going to damage this motor. I am using Tohutsu breakin. *No dealers around

Last edited:
There is something wrong with the motor !-----------That motor should perform " right out of the box "-------------Check to make sure plug wires are on correctly and see if there is strong spark on all 4 --------------Maybe change the spark plugs in case one is bad.

WOT +- 5000* 50MPH
Idle +-600
I fit the motor myself and the transom height is spot on.
My problem is that the 140 battles to plain my rig. The Johnson 70 did a better job at plaining the boat. Out of experience on bikes I know that the new motors are still tight and need some time to run in and only after a few thousand miles the motor start to perform the way you expect it to.This 140 is my first outboard that I have to run in and the power on take-offis gone. With and an extra crew member on the boat I have to ask him to move to the bow to get the boat on the plain. Once on the plain the motor are not performing like a 140. Will the rich oil mix on break-in impair the power? ? *Don’t get me wrong I think the world of this motor* I am just worried I am doing someting wrong and I am going to damage this motor. I am using Tohutsu breakin. *No dealers around

Make sure (double check) that your jack height is correct (ventilation plate even with the bottom of the transom), and that tilt is correct (motor vertical when boat is under way). If you need to move weight forward, you may have too much tilt. BUT... You may want to reduce pitch an inch or three for better hole shot. You want a WOT RPM of about 5500-5850... so you need 500-800 more RPM. You'll get that with less pitch, and you'll improve launch out of the hole at the same time.

Back