Logo

Wood for floor

bill_w

Advanced Contributor
Hi. I've got a 16 Springbok Pro Series aluminium fishing boat. It came with a 5/8" ply floor that needs replacing. Just wondering, should I use marine ply or try out pressure treated ply? Pros and cons of both/either?

thanks,
Bill

Ok, it looks like the pressure treated gets the nod. Thanks.

Bill

Ayuh,... I wouldn't do that,....
The chemicals used in the current P/T wood will attack, 'n corrode holes in yer aluminum boat....

Lotsa conversations 'bout this at the drydock over at iboats...

Take another look at the MDO it was originaly made to make street signs so it is not afraid to get wet. any good lumber yard. PT is not what it used to be now that the do gooders took out the arsnic.

Nixes mate

I would highly recommend marine plywood, epoxied, and painted to seal. I'm not sure what the deck project is that you have in mind without photos. Have you thought of Aluminum, like the rest of the boat?

True the chemicals in the New treated plywood will EATan aluminum boat.

MDO plywood, Two coats of epoxy and two coats of Valspar Oil Based Tractor Paint with the Acrylic Enamel Hardener and it will last 30+ years. Especially if you always predrill any holes and coat all mechanical fasteners with 3M-4200

The original wood that was in the boat wasn't sealed, coated, anything. Just raw (I assume marine ply) cut to fit, and held down with a few screws into the ribs here and there. Carpet stapled down over top. So, considering that that held up for about 20+ years, I'll just go the same route, but I'll coat the wood with something before I install it. And stainless staples of course.

Thanks for all the opinions.

Bill

Back