Logo

Force 125 problem??

auchandler1

Contributing Member
The starter on my Force 125 will engage and try to turn the flywheel. The flywheel turns about a third...stops and continues 3 more times until the flywheel won't move and then I see smoke coming from the starter. I then stop everything only the fact that the starter will not dis-engage unless I play with the key until it drops.

Before I do anything I need to know if the starter ir done or is it something else I need to be looking for.

First, are the batteries new and fully charged? Are the battery cable connections clean and tight, all the connections..IE....Both battery terminals, the ground connection on the engine, the positive connection on the solenoid, the positive connection on the starter and the connection on the other side of the solenoid. Also is there a battery switch or a bulk head post connector?

If all is clean and the battery is fully charged and the starter is getting hot and not spining the engine, then it is time to replace the starter.

A bad connection or a weak battery will burn out your starter.

My main battery is brand new and my second one is a little older. Due to it being night time I will check in the morning and let you know what I have done. Thanks for helping me out...

Oh and yes there is a battery switch in my compartment .

My main battery is brand new and my second one is a little older. Due to it being night time I will check in the morning and let you know what I have done. Thanks for helping me out...

Oh and yes there is a battery switch in my compartment .

Having a switch means you have more connections to check and clean.

After doing all the above.Try removing the plugs and turning it over.
Then do a compression test.That ok?
Then clean the contacts and clean out the starter.
The lower unit check the oil for shavings and chunks.Possible bad gears can cause slow turning???

Ok thanks Jerry I will try and get to it in the morning. I actually have a brand new starter delivered today. For some reason my brother decided to leave it in a box outside and it got rained on for a month due to the fact I was in Europe. Good thing is he bought me a brand new one so all is good. Since I got you on here have you ever rebuilt or cleaned a force 125 tilt/trim pump?

Mine sounds like its rubbing when going up..

A scratching or scrapeing noise like "nails on a chalk board"? If yes, look at the wiper retaining clips on each piston. If the gland nut is swelled with corrosion the retaining clips may be rubbing on the piston.

Take a picture and post it here.

Basically Chris.. I couldn't really describe it but it sounds like it is grinding. Doesn't make the noise going down but just up. To see the wiper clips does it require taking it apart?

Basically Chris.. I couldn't really describe it but it sounds like it is grinding. Doesn't make the noise going down but just up. To see the wiper clips does it require taking it apart?

The clips are visible.
Drain and fill the unit with new fluid. Use tilt and trim fluid. If there is any moisture in the system the pump will make some strange noises.

These units can be drained by loosening the front hyd.line fitting.
You can back it off a bit and cycle the unit.It will start draining then.
They are supposed to use 20wt oil.
Any grinding noises could be the electric motor.Works harder going up.J

Just double checking but I need to hold the motor up and pump oil into the plug on the side to a little below the plug line and that's it?

You need to hold the engine up because you will not be able to lift it by hand once you start doing this service. You will not be "pumping" oil in to the reservoir, You will just top it off to flush the old oil out.

You need to hold the engine up because you will not be able to lift it by hand once you start doing this service. You will not be "pumping" oil in to the reservoir, You will just top it off to flush the old oil out.

How will you top it off when the plug is on the side. You don't use anything to put the oil in like a funnel or anything? I'm asking because it seems you would spill more oil out then in.

When I say "You will not be Pumping it in" I mean you will not be putting any pressure into the reservoir. Of course you can use a small pump to fill the reservoir, but don't attach it.

Fill while it's down.Some outboards need to be filled while it's up not this one.
I use a pump oil can,with the long nozzle.
You manage to drain it?
RRitt knows these pumps inside/out(he rebuilds them)ask him.
Filling it up can force oil UP into the electric motor.

From The manual:
Unit fully retracted(down)
Remove the plug
Fill with 10/40 till it comes out the hole. (I thought it was 20w good thing I had 10-30w in my oil can.)
Cycle the unit 3-5 times
Then top off
Replace the plug.

Fill while it's down.Some outboards need to be filled while it's up not this one.
I use a pump oil can,with the long nozzle.
You manage to drain it?
RRitt knows these pumps inside/out(he rebuilds them)ask him.
Filling it up can force oil UP into the electric motor.

From The manual:
Unit fully retracted(down)
Remove the plug
Fill with 10/40 till it comes out the hole. (I thought it was 20w good thing I had 10-30w in my oil can.)
Cycle the unit 3-5 times
Then top off
Replace the plug.

I suggested that he prop the engine in the up position just for flushing purposes and in case he runs into a problem with the lines, not as a final topping off of the unit.

Back