Logo

Help ID Reverse Gear

Packard8

Hi Folks, I'd appreciate any help and info on the attached reverse gear. It came attached to an Andres Marine 1955 Packard 320 cid V8 marine conversion motor that I acquired at Ladd's Boat Yard in Stockton CA. No casting numbers or data plate are present. I'd like to get some idea of the Mfg, year, correct lube fluid and capacity, etc. Also need a new top cover gasket if available. It is a 1:00 to 1:00 ratio with a 1 inch shaft collar.

Thanks in advance,

John

Attachments

• DSCF0723.jpg
    DSCF0723.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 77
  • DSCF0721.jpg
    DSCF0721.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 76
  • DSCF0722.jpg
    DSCF0722.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 81
Well, that's Paragon manual reverse gear. I wouldn't be surprised if you checked the fluid and found it to be common motor oil. If it looks like hydraulic fluid, type A was the old school name for that, and type F would work. As for the top cover, the best bet, and quickest, is buy a roll of gasket material, and make a new one.

Well, that's Paragon manual reverse gear. I wouldn't be surprised if you checked the fluid and found it to be common motor oil. If it looks like hydraulic fluid, type A was the old school name for that, and type F would work. As for the top cover, the best bet, and quickest, is buy a roll of gasket material, and make a new one.

Hi Rev, thanks for the note. I found numbers on the large drum inside: 643B 85586K and emailed a Paragon shop/distributor. They could not match it with any numbers they had but thought it might be an older Twin Disc. Haven't found any info on that either, but will keep looking. Thanks for the tip, if I can't find a pre-cut gasket I'll make one.

Back