Logo

Chrysler 360 inboard starts runs, but won't restart when it is shut off.

KennethDBell

I'm new to this site so if I'm going post crazy, please forgive me. I'm really searching for a solution here. I've not been able to take my boat out of the slip for months now. Here's the deal, both engines crank, start and run, but when you shut them off one engine will not crank, but it won't start????? Its getting fire, we've checked that.....its not battary we checked that. It has to rest for an hr. or so before it will restart.

Thanks,

Cristen

Okay. Since it has spark, and fuel, it has to run UNLESS the timing is off. Since it runs fine after it cools off, my conclusion is that the ignition module is bad. (When they get screwed up, they can change the timing; had that happen to me in my old motorhome. Drove me nuts!)

A new module is about 30 bucks at NAPA. I'd put a new one iin and see if that's it.

Jeff

PS: Either 4 or 5 pin modules will work. I have one of each on my boat's engines.

It's usually sitting in that metal framework deal near the distributor. Two bolts hold it in place, with a Phillps screw holding the five pin connector on.

Jeff

Back