Logo

RRITT, i need your opinion

I have a 1995 Merc 40hp 2 stroke that the power trim took a dump and locked up. Finally got the trim assembly out and pulled apart. Cleaned the hell out of it. It sat for 6 years. Found the manual release plug broken off at the tip. Upon further inspection I found a pin hole in the pump housing. look for the arrow. I am not sure if it is a pin hole crack or it is supposed to be there. It does leak off oil when I turn the pump. I also found out that most of the parts are not available so any help in that department is appreciated.

Thanks in advance

the pin hole is supposed to be there. I forget why though. that series of pump design usually never fails except for debris. make sure the passages are clear, blow aggressively with compressed air, and use a pipe cleaner with solvent. use a dremmel with soft brass cup-brush to clean the steel valve seats. If you have a rocker arm on top then highly polish the pistons with 1000/1200 before reassembly (put them in a drill and spin them against the sandpaper with a drop of wd40). Apply thin coat of vaseline to all parts prior to assembly. You can use hydraulic oil but it is messy as a pre-lube. NEVER put the gears in without lubricating the top and bottom shaft. It only takes a split second to burn them agasinst the aluminum. When reassembling tap the top of plunger and make sure it springs back without catching. never try to re-use an oring.

Last edited:
Back