Logo

Obsolete Recoil Spring

I guess that my question is whether it would be reasonable to make one with some stock spring steel. Could anyone comment on this?

What does one normally do in this type of situation? Is there something to do other than wait for one to appear on ebay?

Thankyou.
You could go to your local Mercury dealership with the part number (42194A2) and ask them if they could help locate one for you using their Non-Active Parts Inquiry system. The list of mercury dealers that have this part number in stock is long.;):) Good luck.

I never knew that something like that existed. I had naively assumed that an hour of searching for the part number, or related parts numbers would yield anything that was available.

Why do they hide the "Non-Active Parts Inquiry" system from us? Protect the dealers maybe.

For the record, I repaired the recoil spring. I had lost ~10" of the original spring, but it works ok for now.

In order to put a bend in the end of the spring, I tempered it by heating it with a torch until red hot. The original spring end had been tempered in this way, as it also was also malleable and non-spring-steel-like.

Many of these motors ended up on the rack for parts.----------Should be lots of good used springs around, especially on the electric start models.-Availability may depend on where you are.

Sorry to bring up an old thread. I just broke the recoil spring 42194A on my 9.9 mariner! To brittle to repair. There's one on ebay for over $100 shipped. Any alternatives? Nobody local has any.

Back