Logo

70 HP Starter Won't Engage Flywheel

daveh

After running 15 minutes to fishing spot, after about 2 hours of sitting, starter would not engage flywheel, leaving us stranded. It has happened 3 times, but previously, it would work normal after a few minutes. When I manually moved the starter gear the flywheel and turn the key, the solenoid makes all kinds of knocking noises. I've never done anything to the starter in the 4 years I've owned the boat. Help Please...

Update: Just walked by the boat, hit the key, starter works as normal. I did nothing to make this happen. Can someone shed some light on this?

Could be a bad/loose connection.Hot or ground.
Weak battery or a bad cell.Get it to any auto parts store they can load check it for free.
Does the starter turn and not engage or do nothing?
Possible the worm gear under the bendix needs a SMALL touch of grease.
The solenoid bad.Test light across both cable lugs and try the key.
If it makes a chattering noise it's not getting enough juice.
These starters are easy to take apart and clean.J

Update # 2: Battery and starter check out ok, all connections are clean and tight, no corrosion. I am having the starter cleaned and serviced for good measure. I don't know what you mean about test light across both cable lugs??? I will get a new starter relay (solenoid???) just to have everything up to snuff. Any other suggestions?

If battery tests ok and your rebuilding the starter and replacing the solenoid.Other than replacing the cables you should have it.
Check the cables for buldges or lots of corrosion on the ends.
Let us know how it works out.J\

No corrosion anywhere, no buldges, wires look good. One thing, there is supposed to be a plastic cover over the solenoid connections, and it has been removed. It did not get wet the other day, but I may have to fabricate something. Should I think about a new key switch as well?

Starter rebuilt and Solenoid replaced, all connections clean and tight, good tested battery, even replaced all ground connections to pumps and lights and such......fired right up. Let's hope it stays that way! And, thank God for a strong trolling motor on a fresh battery the other day when it failed. That should be all for now, thanks for the help.

Back