Logo

Flushing with vinegar

ccm

Hi,
I have read some of the posts about using vinegar to flush their saltwater motors and want to give it a try. I have been using Salt Eliminator to wash down the boat and external motor. It has an attachment that mixes the S.E. with water to form a spray. I intend to use the attachment, fill it full of vinegar, then run it through the fresh water flush near middle of the motor, then put the attachment inline with my motor muffs then run the motor with the water turned on full force.

My questions are:
1. Will the full strength vinegar be to much acid? I figured it would
not since the attachment mixes the S.E. with water as you use it to
spray the solution.
2. Do I need to run the vinegar through both the fresh water flush and
through the muffs? Don't enough about the design of the motor to
to know if this would be redundant.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

If you choose to run vinegar through your engine, You will need 5 gallons or more and need to rig up some kind of catch basin so you can circulate it through the engine for a few minutes. Then you will need to let the vinegar sit in the engine for a few hours and then rinse. When I get a carb that has extensive corrosion inside it, I soak it over night in vinegar with no ill effects on the carb body. They come out sparkling clean with little effort.

Vinegar will soften calcium and salt deposits and make them easy to flush out. But it has to soak and sit for a while.

Newer motor have an auto flush.Just hook it and it flushes.No need to start the motor just hook and go.
I like to use the muffs and get the engine up to temp again.
Maybe wasting my time but I think getting it warm again gets the fresh water in all the little places.
I had a pair of 88/85s and replaced the head gasket on one and it looked extremly good for 20+ years.
Even after that the salt finds a small place and ruined the gasket and ate a small hole in the head.
1 gasket in 20+ years not bad.
I NEVER did not flush it.J

Back