Logo

2005 mercury 50 hp 2 cycle

vanceboroguy

Contributing Member
My son took my boat out today and it ran and idled fine for about an hour running time. On his way back it lost power but he said it would idle fine. He called and told me. I told him since it was not running hot. Motor was peeing fine and heads where cool to touch and no alarms to bring it back to landing on idle. He said it would go past idle but not strong enough to plane. I know its not much information,but can someone point me in a direction to look. Thanks

Sounds like a spark plug fouled out from the ideling or lost a switchbox or coil. Check the plugs and replace if they are realy carboned up before going farther. A good tuneup is probly needed.

Best of luck,
Oldman570

Spark plugs just changed, built in tank. I had been noticing some gas in drain well in front of motor. I couldn't find leak from hose or primer bulb. Will a hole in primer or gas line cause a motor to lose power? I thought maybe the carbs where dumping gas in well when tilting motor up. I guess I will change line and bulb just in case.

Check the fuel pump diaphragm and fuel lines for leakage while it's running. See if the carbs are leaking fuel. HAVE A FIRE EXTINGUISHER IN YOUR HAND!

On the newer style fuel conectors at the motor, I've had trouble with them leaking or sucking air. I have been clamping the fuel line to the inside of the transom with a clamp so that the weight of the primer bulb , hose , and inline filter dosen't pull on that conection. Just leave enough slack in the line to be able to turn the motor from one stop to the other. I think the extra weight of the hose and vibration causes some trouble. A clamp and screw dosen't cost as much as a new fuel fitting and might take care of your fuel leak.

Best of Luck,

Oldman570

Very good advise. Been thinking on those lines myself.

Another good trick is to use clear, reinforced fuel hose (True Value stores). It allows one to see if the line is running full of gas. Mine was NOT, I found to my dismay, since it ran uphill, then down hill to the motor. Not good! The line MUST run uphill only to the motor or air will be entrained in the hose and mess of fuel pump suction. THe clear hose lets you monitor this condition at a glance.

Jeff

PS: Kodos to the clerk at the hardware store--a former dirt track racer--for pointing this out to me.

Attachments

• Fuel Line Routing.JPG
    Fuel Line Routing.JPG
    27.4 KB · Views: 714
Last edited:
a good hardware store beats a big box store every day in my opinion....we all have our favorite dont we?..lol

I also experienced sucking air where the fuel line connects to the motor. Running at half speed my engine would just die down to an idle. I could pump the bulb and away I would go for another few minutes or maybe half a day. One day I was squeezing the the bulb before launching the boat and a drop of gas dripped on my hand. Eureka! A loose conection. Now about every month I pull the connection out, lubricate it and snap it back in. No more problems. I'm guessing that one country makes the engine and another country makes the fuel line connector. Just not a good fit.

Replaced fuel line and primer bulb,no better. Rebuilt fuel pump and ran fine but had a slight miss. Rebuilt carbs and now runs like new. Thanks for all the replys.

Back