Logo

3000 CONTROLLER - THROTTLE ONLY BUTTON is not popping out

kypitsn

does anyone know why my THROTTLE ONLY BUTTON is not popping out ?????
I dissassembled the unit to remove the the upolstery side mount piece for revcovering and when I re-assembled everything ,... everythikng seemed to work except that when I pressed in the button (normal pressing pressure not forced) it when into neutral,.. but never popped back out ?????
Anyone know what I may have possibly done wrong ????
thanks
kpyitsn

I believe there is a spring behind it in the release. Did you lose it? Try a shot of WD-40.

Last edited:
NO SPRING is part of the original throttle handle assembly according to pages 4g29- 4g37 of manual 90-814705R03 dated December 2006

It has been years since I disassembled one and installed a new neutral safety switch and trim harness. Let me look at my manual. I remember that it has to be assembled exact or it won't function properly...must have torn it apart 4-5 times before I got it right.

Sorry man, my current manual doesn't show a breakdown. If you remove the black button cover will the commander function? If not it was assembled not quite right or the shaft needs some 2-4-C lube. Take some pics. and post them. I remember a few detent screws (w/ball bearings under them) that controlled movement of the assy. Remove the handle and make shure it isn't binding.

When you removed/installed the throttle only button did you have the shifter in the forward 45 deg. position? Is the shifter spring is position? Did you try adjusting the tension screw? Remove the button per procedure and apply to it a thin coating of 2-4-C or similar lube. Adjust the tension screw as needed.

No ,.. I did not have the shifter in the forward 45 deg. position when I removed the plastic neutral throttle only button,.. rather,.. I had the shifter in the neutral position just as the instructions said to do. I assumed the neutral position was straight up at 12 o'clock,.. it was in this position that I removed the plastic button. Regarding the small set screw that adjusts the tension (feel) of the lever,.. I never touched that set screw that is accessibly revealed when the lever is at the 45 degrees forward position.

Disassembly
1. Remove control handle by first removing throttle only
button. Place the control handle in the
throttle-only position. Push “In” on button and
place control handle forward. Throttle-only button
can now be removed.
You may have damaged the button. Remove per procedure and inspect it. Lube it like I said but apply a thin coating of lube on the entire button except the "push" part. Reinstall it per procedure...control handle forward.

Here is the BEST and ONLY non-destructive manner to pop-out the Throttle only button for a Mercury Classic 3000 Quicksilver Throttle.

Make sure your throttle is at 12 o'clock in the neutral position. Then use an old or new but WIDE METAL MEASURING TAPE that has the "end-catch" removed, this will be the perfect device that is rigid enough yet still thin enough to slid in between the button and the housing. Once you have slid it in 1"-2" rotate it in either direction around the axis of the button, while simultaneously pulling outwardly and simultaneously applying pressure toward the button's center,.. and the button will pop out. MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT USE A SMALL SCREW DRIVER TO PRY OUT THE BUTTON AS PER THE MANUAL SUGGESTS BECAUSE THAT WILL SCARE THE PLASTIC BUTTON'S EDGES, DEFORM THE PLASTIC EDGES OF THE BITTON AND RAISE PLASTIC BURS THAT WILL CAUSE THE BUTTON NOT TO SPRING OUT OF THE NEUTRAL POSITION IN THE FUTURE. Once removed,.. if the plastic throttle only button has the edge of the plastic button deformed or scared or has raised burs,.. be sure to purchase a new button for $3.00 or lightly sand smooth the circumference for that no plastic burs are raised and apply a little lithium grease and all should be well again.

ONE MORE BIT OF NEWS,.. MERCURY MARINE TECH SUPPORT WAS USELESS,.. AND THE MANUAL'S SUGGESTION OF USING A SCREW DRIVER TO PRY IT OUT IS BAD NEWS,.. BUT WORST OF ALL WAS A GUY NAMED "DAN" at Mercury tech support,.. who could only quickly dismiss me by telling me to take my boat to an authorized Mercury Marine service dealer.

Attachments

• Throttle Only Button Removal (1A).jpg
    Throttle Only Button Removal (1A).jpg
    43 KB · Views: 19,914
  • Throttle Only Button Removal (1B).jpg
    Throttle Only Button Removal (1B).jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 3,637
Throttle Only Button Removal done without destruction of the plastic button correctly as per the PHOTOS,.. remember do not use a screwdriver.

Attachments

• Throttle Only Button Removal (0).jpg
    Throttle Only Button Removal (0).jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 1,824
  • Throttle Only Button Removal (1).jpg
    Throttle Only Button Removal (1).jpg
    43 KB · Views: 1,206
  • Throttle Only Button Removal (2).jpg
    Throttle Only Button Removal (2).jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 767
  • Throttle Only Button Removal (3).jpg
    Throttle Only Button Removal (3).jpg
    40 KB · Views: 5,798
  • Throttle Only Button Removal (4).jpg
    Throttle Only Button Removal (4).jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 79,129
  • Throttle Only Button Removal (5).jpg
    Throttle Only Button Removal (5).jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 5,479
The correct way to remove the button is to push it in and go to W O T, then pull the button out anyway you can, by getting behind the edge of the button and carefully pry it out. Regardless if those directions work or not, (Your button?) or the button in one of the photos you posted above appears to be broken as evident in the three photos below. look at the end that goes into the controller. This button usually breaks when being pulled out incorrectly. You may need a new button, Mercruiser part number has superceded from 822212 to 822212T.

Broken,
New,
attachment.php
$(KGrHqYOKigE31Bho,-WBOESjq7JqQ~~_12.JPG
822212t.jpg

New ^^^.

So if it is broke how do you get the little pieces out that were on the end?

The correct way to remove the button is to push it in and go to W O T, then pull the button out anyway you can, by getting behind the edge of the button and carefully pry it out. Regardless if those directions work or not, (Your button?) or the button in one of the photos you posted above appears to be broken as evident in the three photos below. look at the end that goes into the controller. This button usually breaks when being pulled out incorrectly. You may need a new button, Mercruiser part number has superceded from 822212 to 822212T.

Broken,
New,
attachment.php
$(KGrHqYOKigE31Bho,-WBOESjq7JqQ~~_12.JPG
822212t.jpg

New ^^^.

Back