Logo

1995 Yamaha blowing onengine 30 amp fuse

vearl

My 1995 Yamaha 130 h.p. motoe is blowing the onengine 30 amp fuse as soon as it get voltage. I was working on the battery cables, and let them arc. Every since my fuse started blowing. Can some help.

If it is blowing as soon as you get voltage, you have a dead short to ground. Disconnect the batteries and make sure they are hooked up correctly. Next disconnect the main engine harness and see if the fuse still blows, if it does not then the problem is at the helm, If it does the problem is on the engine.

Hey Chris I do thank you for offering your knowledge on this matter. I' ve disconnected the wiring harness at the engine, it still blow the fuse. I' ve check my hook up of my batteries cable, to the starter relay, everything look o.k.. I' ve even made sure the cables had the right polarity, by putting one end of my meter into the dirt to make sure I have the voltage going to the starter relay. If you have any other suggestion, I would truly like to hear from you.

vearl

I would hook up a test light across the fuse holder and start disconnecting one thing at a time on the engine until the light goes out. I would start with the tilt/trim relays and work my way up from there. Take some pictures, label everything or draw a diagram. Disconnect everything one piece at at time and leave them disconnected until you find it.

I took the positive cable off of the starting relay, and also the tilt trim relays. I started disconnecting everything that I could. As I started connecting each one back, I would check my fuse, when I connect my reg.-rectifier back, it blew the fuse. Is there a way to check the rectifier before buying another.

Vearl

You will need an OHM meter. simple test. Remove the rectifier from the engine. Hook up the negative of the meter to the black lead coming from the rectifier. Now prob the rest of the wires and note the resistance on each one.

I hope it is only the rectifier that is damaged.

Hey Chris Found out the polarity on my batteries cable wasn't correct. My tilt-trim switches aren't working now. Started motor up, ran good, try to used tilt-trim switches, but they blew the same fuse. Started checking if the relays were going to ground, they check out to be o.k.. Started backtracking on my blue-green wires. The green wire were going to ground. On the wiring harness inside the engine, is a small black box, it has one black wire, one blue wire, one gren wire. The green wire is the one going to ground. I' ve called two different supply stores, they were not familiar with this black box. The box is about one and a quarter inch long,by maybe half an inch wide. It was taped to the wiring harness, maybe two inches away from the tilt-trim onengine

If it is blowing as soon as you get voltage, you have a dead short to ground. Disconnect the batteries and make sure they are hooked up correctly. Next disconnect the main engine harness and see if the fuse still blows, if it does not then the problem is at the helm, If it does the problem is on the engine.

I don't see this part on my wiring Diagram. Take a picture and post it.

Chris I' ve taken gthe part out of the wiring harness, hooke my tilt-trim wires together, every thing work o.k..
I've taken the part to a knowledgeable boat mechanic, he said he had never seen one. He suggested that I tried the tilt-trim without it. So the tilt-trim work o.k., the motor is doing running well as of this time. Thank you for your knowledge and help.

Vearl

Vearl,
Don't know if this helps but recently had a similar problem and the below is how I tracked down the problem after many posts asking for help.
""
Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:21 pm Post subject:

Hi all,
Just an update of my 20 amp fuse continually blowing under the engine cowling.

Well after many blown fuses finally sorted out fuse issue and thought this may be of use to others. So here is the short story first. Besides myself many a time, had an leco look at the boat and couldn't quite get the fuse to blow so he said will have to look at it another day as he was rushed. Later on that day I remembered what another user on sportsfish.com.au and my brother in law said, that was to move around any cabling or wiring and see if it will blow the fuse. Well guess what, it did. At the time I was moving the wiring under the gunnel on motor side of control box. I sort of thought it was from the red wire that had the insulation worn through on one of the sharp support arms under the gunnel. Repaired that and thought that was easy. Moved the wires again and bang, there it goes again. Looked everywhere and everytime I moved the wire under the gunnel and under the dash it would blow. Scratched my head a few times and thought would wait until dark.. By the way this is about 10 fuses blown already on the day. The one thing I did know was that it was not being caused by the wires leading into the control box as I jiggled and tugged at them and fuse would not blow. So now got it narrowed down to between rear of boat and start of fuses under dash. Last night put a new fuse in, turned on ignition and crawled under dash. Started wriggling the wires and then bam, flash/spark just above the steering cable. Got the torch out and no wonder I didn't see it before. Was one of the gauge wires sandwiched between rigid steering cable and sharp support to the dash. Pulled it out and yellow cabling was almost worn all the way through. Now you might ask why this gauge fuse did not blow, well it was because the fault was on the battery side of the gauge fuse. Anyway repaired the split, placed rubber around every sharp edge I could see under the dash and along gunnel and now good as. Cannot get it to blow. Thanks again.
What a painstaking pain in the arse problem. Hope this helps others.
PS I think that doing this at night or in the dark is the best way and always look along all the sharp edges of the boat as this will be where the fault will be more times than not.

regards
Kirko

Hi Chris,
Can you please help me to solve my issue with my outboard yamaha 100 hp made in 1999. It ran very well for a month but yesterday I ran it longest time around 1 hr. Almost got home but I lost my friend behind so I slowed down the boat at 3500rpm for 7 minutes then it stopped and smell like something burn then no power at all. This morning I check everything then I found out that fuse 30 amp for solenoids and motor burned. I replaced it then it ran again but only for 4 minutes then burned again. All running condition were same before but it keeps burning. I checked all ground wire looking good but i did not disconnect harness yet. Any idea for this issue sir please help me!
thank you so much in advanced Chris!

James

Last edited:
Back