Logo

Mercury Big Foot vrs standard leg for use on centre console

matan

I have just bought an aluminium centre console. It came with a merc 60hp 4stroke motor. It is the factory big foot model. I intend to use the boat as an offshore fishing boat and wonder about the difference that the Big Foot will make. The motor is a 2007 and was bought from a houseboat.
it has only 150 hours use. I presume that the prop is from the houseboat.
Any comments or suggestions appreciated

Like Guy said , that motor is a work horse, and should be just fine for you intended use. The Big Foot gearing is diffrent in the lower unit than the standard module. Keep this in mind when you take it out and run it, You might want to go to a bigger pitch prop, if the RPM's are not up where they need to be or if they don't get you up to speed, seeing that it was on a houseboat. Houseboats are usualy heiver, and need less prop pitch than smaller boats to run in the recomended RPM range (4500-5500) on most motors, therfor less pitch.

Have FUN Boating and BE SAFE,

Oldman570

Does any one know what size and pitch prop we i need to use the boat as a general fishing boat. The boat is really heavy as it was built as a jet boat with an inboard. Now It has been extended and has the 60 merc bigfoot. where do I go to find recommended prop size?
Jim

The only way you can tell if you need a diffrent prop is to run the one you have on and see if it preforms correct. The motor should run at 4800 to 5000 RPM's at WOT I think for that motor. If the motor will not reach those RPM's , you need to go down in pitch, go up in pitch if it wants to run more than max. RPM's. The main thing is to keep the motor from not luging down, nor over reving. You will need to check to see for sure what RPM's the motor should run at WOT, as they vary from year to year and from 2 stroke to 4 stroke. Best performance is near the upper rpm range, and less $ out of pocket. Go to the prop threds here and read what is there, or go to a web site for the prop you have and see what they recomend for the weight of the boat+ load.

Have fun boating and BE SAFE,

Oldman570

if your fishing boat is the one that used to have the inboard and has been extended then the prop that was on the houseboat may be what you need....or close.....a lot of people with houseboats just slap a motor on them with whatever prop is on there and run them...most houseboats are not run much(i have one) and are just moved once or twice a year anyway...so try the existing prop...if its close a good prop shop ban convert it cheaper than the 350-400 bucks one cost for that motor....i know the price because i just bought a new 60hp merc bigfoot for a fishing rig...

great advise .
I would like a good workshop manual and even a owners manual. there are many things about the motor that are different from previous motors. I am 65 and have a life of boating and commercial charter captain, BUT i have never owner a mercury and I have never had a 4 stroke before. what is the yellow oil cap for and how do you know when the level is good? it looks like it oils the linkage, but does it fill the leg? How do you know what level it should be filled?

So please direct me to a good shop manual and to any info on what I should be checking and servicing. Thanks I am in a part of Western Australia where the nearest mercury dealership is 100 miles away.

There is a dipstick to check the oil level in the motor.------Any oil would added via the hole with the yellow cap.--------------The lower unit ( foot ) also has oil and it is totally seperate from the motor itself.-----------Yes you should get the manual before you run it.

go to home on this site.....then click on Boat Motor Manuals and go from there....you may find what you need...

Back