Logo

1989 Evinrude 120 hp E120TLCEM Outboard Motor... buzzer alarm sounding on throttle housing

bogie378

Hi there, I have a 1989 Glastron G170 or a G17 I cant remember and it's been raining for three days and I'm not going to go untarp it to check... so... we will just say it is a 17' Glastron with a 1989 Evinrude 120 hp E120TLCEM Outboard Motor on it. I just got it and the first time we took it out we found out that the buzzer alarm on the housing of the throttle and shifter will not stop, I thought it would go off after we were going ... but it NEVER STOPS. I filled up the 2 cycle oil tank in it and it till sounds? What can it be? I did not see any sensors on the tank. However the guage on the dash doesn't seem to be working either, do I have to change out the oil level sending unit to get it to register on the guage on the dash, in order to get that eye crossing beeper buzzer alarm to quit it?? PLEASE MAKE IT STOP.. I NEED HELP !! Thank you, Brian

[FONT=&quot]A steady constant beep is the overheat warning.[/FONT] Did you check the water pump operation. Since you just bought the boat, you should replace this pump.

A big ----If -------------If you ran this motor with a defective water pump you may want to do a compression test before you spend any money on this motor.

The alarm sounds as soon as you turn the key on with out the motor running. The motor starts right up and runs fine, the water that come out of the bottom of the cover, the pump out put, runs out in a steady stream , not squirting out but running out like a water faucet. I am confused as none of these seem to be the issue? Would there be maybe a temp sending unit out i wonder?? I do greatly appreciate you guys input. I thank you very much.

Buzzers don't buzz by themselves.... Find out what is making it buzz. You would not replace a light bulb if it stayed on all the time, would you?
The buzzer is a simple circuit... Battery connection, one or more switch/sensors, buzzer and ground connection. IF the engine is all OK, then one of the sensors (there maybe more than one) is shorted or there may be a short in the wiring. There is an unlikely possibility that there is a relay built into the buzzer assembly, in which case it will have more than two connections to it. If is the case the relay may be shorted.

Well,some buzzzzzzzers sound momentarily when the key is turned on !!------------If they stay on , then the buzzer is defective !!

Well,some buzzzzzzzers sound momentarily when the key is turned on !!------------If they stay on , then the buzzer is defective !!

I just this weekend repaired a J150execd with the same problem. Key on engine off cold, Over heat alarm and light were on. No grounded wires, sensors functioning correctly. The "system check" gauge was not functioning correctly. Replaced it and all is fine. Disassembled the removed unit and found it grounded internally with corrosion. "Salt Air"

Back