Logo

KOHLER genset

kevin_z

Regular Contributor
Where can I find a Kohler 7.3E (gas) starter? (Kawasaki motor) I see them online for 4-5 hundered bucks. I would think there is a aftermarket for these.

I have yet to find an aftermarket starter for any of the e series gen-sets. The only time I see these go bad is from submersion, over cranking or a weak battery.

I will be headed to my electric motor guy this morning. But I was told that these little starters are magnets (or something) and not rebuildable. Will let you all know

I got the motor back from the starter guy this afternoon. He said it had corrision and a bad ground wire. He repaired and cleaned the inside and painted the outside and tested. 45 bucks. Will re-installed maybe tomorrow. Will keep updated.

Chris, I agree with you. This genset was installed in 10/05. I am a boat electronics installer and my engine room is spotless. New battery 01/11. Now I must say that to get the thing started, I must crank it for 5sec then release the remote start, and crank again for 5sec, release, then do it again, and then it usually starts. So over cranking? probable..

He said it had corrision and a bad ground wire. He repaired and cleaned the inside and painted the outside and tested. 45 bucks.

Ayuh,... Over crankin' don't cause Corrosion,...

Water Does...

Ayuh,... Over crankin' don't cause Corrosion,...

Water Does...

Agreed.
Water is getting to the starter from somewhere. You need to check for rain water or spray from you drive engines, stuffing boxes if inboards or the genset it self leaking sea water. The bad ground will burn up your starter. Acts just like a weak battery and will over heat the starter.

Put the rebuilt starter in last night and she fired right up. When I took the starter out, it was clean. No rust and the gear looked good. I am going to say it was a ground issue in the starter. The lesson learned here was that those starters can be repaired and there is no aftermarket for them! Thanks for the thoughts.

the starter did the same thing last week-end. I removed it, took it back to the starter guy, he tested it, all is fine. Went back to the boat and re-installed it, same thing, will not crank. I ran a cable from the starter to the POS battery, still will not crank, ran a cable from the starter mounting bolt to the NEG battery, and BAM, started right up!!
The orginal ground goes from the battery to the drip pan, then a braided cable goes to the motor mount. It all looks good, no rust or loose bolts.
Called the starter guy, he has no answers, but for $45.00 to tell me I have a good starter, it was well worth it!

The orginal ground goes from the battery to the drip pan, then a braided cable goes to the motor mount. It all looks good, no rust or loose bolts.

Ayuh,..... Looks don't mean Squat....
Remove the ends, sand 'em, clean 'em,(Shiny metal clean) reinstall 'em, 'n grease 'em to stop anymore corrosion from happenin'...

Just like battery cable ends, the tinniest bit of corrosion is yer enemy...

RE: "The orginal ground goes from the battery to the drip pan, then a braided cable goes to the motor mount. It all looks good, no rust or loose bolts. "

This is a silly putty setup and likely the cause of you problem. Battery ground cable should go DIRECTLY to the starter mount bolt or to the block at a bolt/stud nearest the starter... THEN a strap to the drip pan !

Last edited:
Back