Logo

How to set timing on a 2000 johnson 175

Ignition timing is factory set and should not be adjusted / messed with.-----------------Is there a reason why you might suspect " timing is not right " , running problems with the engine ???

I replaced the optical sensor, I didn't mess with timing, the timing should not have changed ... right? the engine runs great, just wont to make sure its right...

Any time you change an electrical component on a mtr that has to do with the ignition system the timing should be verified. Any good dlr should have the tool to do this and it can be set statically. Takes all of about 15 min to do it.

Is it a Ficht with electronic ignition? If so, you need the software from BRP, a laptop with a serial port, a serial cable for the motor, and a timing light. It's really easy to do. You run the software in the test mode and select the timing function. When you go into this mode, the software locks the timing. It will then tell you where it thinks the timing should be. With the timing light on (connected to cyclinder 1), you watch where the timing light shows up on the flywheel. You then adjust the angle using the software to match what it actually is. There's a good explanation in the help section of the software.

Thanks for the reply, its not a Ficht... I know how to set the timing on a auto with a timing light, is it the same? do you know what the rpm should be set at idle and someone said it should be 4-6 atdc at idle and at 18 btdc at 5000 rpms.. is this right? Thanks....

Your idle rpm is dependent on what the idle timing is and should be set at 600-700 rpm in gear. This of course depends on mtr condition. Don't set your wot timing on muffs as a rod might come out and kiss you. Your specs are correct.

Back