Logo

Prop stuck on shaft...is there a trick to getting it off?

discobayken

Regular Contributor
Is there a trick to getting a prop off the shaft. Mine appears to be corroded on. I squirted some penetrating oil on it but it doesnt seem to help. Is there a puller that will work for that or do I need to cut it off?

Thanks

Ken

Yes, there are pullers specially designed for this.
Penetrating oils rarely work.... just too much corrosion occupying the space where the oil needs to be.

If you end up cutting the prop, here's the procedure that I use:
  • Cut one blade off, and open up the outer hub area.
  • Cut through the outer hub area with a saws-all, and peel it away.
  • Now the rubber is exposed.
  • Using a sharp chisel point tool, shave the rubber away down to the center hub.
  • Once at the center hub, you can now add heat to it.
  • Once you heat and expand it, you can pull or drive on it.
  • Drive forward.... then aft.... repeat this several times.
It's a bitch to do, but sometimes it's the only method that works.

Well, you can buy a puller, or make one with some long bolts and a bit of steel plate.
Don't beat on the blades of course, but with a puller pulled up tight, a good rap between the blades can sometimes pop it loose in one shot, (on a bronze one anyway). My dad was the best at it, he would say it depends a lot on the way you hold your tongue when you pick up the hammer.

............ My dad was the best at it, he would say it depends a lot on the way you hold your tongue when you pick up the hammer.
Yes, I think that rule applies in some cases.
Left hand prop..... tongue to the right! And visa-versa! :D

Problem with the I/O props is the shock absorbing cushion that the rubber hub offers.
We often need to get right down to the actual inner hub, in order for any shocking to benefit us with the removal.
Once there, heat is your best friend!

I'd give yourself all attempts with the puller first...... cut the prop off as a last resort.

Are we talking about an I/O or a straight Inboard? A good home made puller . 3 hooks, 3 sections of chain, 3 clevis pins and a harmonic balance/steering wheel puller.

Good point, Chris.
I assumed that the OP was asking about an I/O.

If I/B, then he can go directly to using heat and shocking it, along with the puller.

OK.... back to the puller and/or cutting the prop off.

If using the puller, be sure to protect the end threads of the prop shaft.

Back