Logo

Crank shaft splines

scruffy63

Regular Contributor
I have a 1983 7.5HP Evinrude powerhead which ran great at one time. It has great spark and compression. However the splines on crankshaft where drive shaft goes in are almost non existant now. Is there anything I can do to repair it so I can use the motor or will it require a different crank shaft.

I have a 1983 7.5HP Evinrude powerhead which ran great at one time. It has great spark and compression. However the splines on crankshaft where drive shaft goes in are almost non existant now. Is there anything I can do to repair it so I can use the motor or will it require a different crank shaft.
You will need to replace crankshaft and possibly the driveshaft

This is a last resort fix.

Being that it is an old engine and not worth the cost of the new crank, After removing all the grease from the shaft and the crank, Turn the engine upside down and mix up some liquid JBweld. Pour the JBweld into the crank splines and push the lower unit into it and bolt it up tight. Now turn the engine over and turn the flywheel by hand and leave it sit. Make sure you get it together correctly because you will not be getting it apart again. Also install a new water pump and anything else you may need before you do this.

As long as the pump is not run dry and the seal last you will get about 4-5 years out of the new water pump.

A new crankshaft is listed at $157.00-------Cheap I would say.---------------I am assuming the motor is all apart for the inspection of splines.-------------So was it slipping ???---------Salt water motor ???-------------Lots of hrs on this motor ????-----------Myself I would be doing a proper fix , those are a sweet running motor.

I did the same trick yrs ago but I used gray marine-tex instead of jb-weld. It was on a 1955 25 hp. I know the mtr lasted 3 yrs but lost track of the customer after that.

Back