Logo

No Power to Fuel Pumps, and shoddy wiring

rustybucket145

I've been doing a refurb of a 1998 Shamrock Open center console which has a 5.7L HO TBI EFI Sea Maxx Engine. I got the engine back together yesterday and....

Turn the key on.....

no fuel pumps.... ARGH!!

The engine would turn over just fine, but I wasn't getting any fuel out of the injectors, and I couldn't hear the fuel pumps turn on with the key in the on position.

Ok, so on my boat there are two fuel pumps. Low pressure, and high pressure. I've got no voltage at either with the key in the 'on' position.

I started tracing wires back and discovered a few things.

1. The 50amp breaker by the computer had been 'jumped'. It looks like one of the studs had broken off, so all the wires were on the same terminal. Added to that, one of the wires went back to a solenoid directly under the computer, which seemed normal, but then a wire was jumped from that terminal on the solenoid directly to the battery cable terminal on the starter. So basically the breaker was fed from the solenoid, from the starter battery terminal. I'm gonna 'assume' that this is incorrect?

2. I located what I would call the main connector from the wiring harness to the engine. It's a rectangular molded connector with trailer light type connectors in it. It was BADLY corroded, so I pulled it apart and cleaned it. In the process one of the pins broke off. After cleaning and jumping the broken pin I plugged it back together.

Ok, so I also removed the jumper from the solenoid to the battery cable terminal on the starter.

Now, I basically have a dead engine. The engine won't turn over now either, since I removed the jumper.

So it looks like I've got some tracing and wiring ahead of me...... sigh.

I'm picking up a new 50a breaker today so I can at least start getting everything back to normal. Where is the breaker normally fed from? I assumed the wiring harness? Orange wire maybe? Should the breaker be hot only when the key is 'on'? Is the breaker fed by the ignition wire?

Any guidance to help track this down would be greatly appreciated. Do the fuel pumps run off of the ignition wire somewhere?

I have two wiring diagrams for this boat, of course neither of them covers the engine side of the wiring harness.... lol. Any guidance to an engine wiring diagram would be greatly appreciated as well.

Just found a wiring diagram for part of the system. The jumper was indeed supposed to go from the starter to the solenoid. But then from the solenoid to the feed side of the breaker.

Back