Logo

1965 Evinrude 6hp Shift Rod O-Ring

capnlazy

Regular Contributor
What's the best/easiest way to remove and replace the shift rod o-ring on a '65 Evinrude 6hp? Do I need to drive out the bushing? If so, what's the best way? Appreciate any ideas.

There is a special factory tool to drive the bushing out ( friendly with your local dealer ? )-----------------Or you can run a 5/16-NC tap in in for about 3 threads and pull it out with a long bolt --------------------Or with some patience you can pull the o-ring out with say a dental pick and the work in a new O-ring.------------------Results may vary, some would argue and say nonsense , ----I use all 3 methods -----no problems.

OK Thanks, I think I can handle that. Now, on to my next question:

In removing the prop shaft, gears, and such from the gearcase, I neglected to note the orientation of the bearing head and front bearing in reference to the oil holes. Can you tell me if the holes point up or down? I'd buy a manual but I'm selling this motor and I don't want to make the investment.

There should be a pin in the housing and the front bearing locates on it.--------Many times that pin is pushed in when people assemble it " wrong "

OK, tapped the bushing and pulled it out with a bolt as per your suggestion. Now, just waiting on parts. Thanks for your help.

Back