Logo

2011 tldi 90

Hoosierplugger

First post and Im asking for advice -- sheesh. Got a new 90 and it seems to puke a little (say a teaspoonful) oil on every outing. Its coming from somewhere around the electric oil pump on starboard side of motor. There's always a drop of fresh oil hanging from the bracket when i come back in. It seems to be consuming oil fine.

My dealer told me to run it for another 10 hours -- these guys build a great hull, but Im a little suspect of their mechanical expertise.

Anyone know if the pumps are prone to leaking? Ive checked the oil lines and just cant seem to find where this small amount of oil is coming from. Many thanks.

Craig

Posting a follow up in case anyone has a similar issue.

Dealer/service center replaced the electrical oil pump under warranty. Tohatsu indicated they were seeing an oil leak issue at a step down fitting on the feed line upstream of the oil pump. My leak ended up being the pump itself. Dealer said it's the same pump used in Mercury engines. Will post up if this doesnt solve the leak.

I have a 2010 tldi 90 and am also having oil issues..pretty sure I have the same flats hull as hooiserplugger and purchased from same dealer..my problem started abought 4 mons ago when I started experiencing very high oil use..been averaging 20 to 1 ratio..BTW,the motor has approx 70 hrs on it...motor has been to dealer twice and still has the same issue..the dealer had the ecu reflashed and said this has fixed several other tldi 90's with the same issue...well not for me!..I have looked at the oil pump closely and oil is pooling on the rear rubber mounting grommet for the oil pump.Also have noticed oil inside of the cowling pooling in the bottom/rear..sometimes notice oil dripping down back side of motor...last spoke with dealer and they said that tohatsu claims there is no way the pump is leaking and that it must be an oil line above the pump...well,the lines look fine,no leaks and it doesnt look like a line could even drip on the oil pump causing oil to pool on that rear grommet and then drip into the lower cowling...At this point I'm perplexed..especially after reading the above poster had to have the oil pump replaced because of it leaking..Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!...thank you

What is your zip code? Maybe a different dealer can help you. You are in warranty, and Tohatsu can straighten it out for you, if you let them.

Thanks Paul..there is another dealer about 30 mins from where I am located..I will give them a try...Just wanted to ask in hopes that someone else may have also experienced this or if this was a known problem with an obvious fix...my dealer has been very helpfull but this has drug on a little too long.I'm confident that Tohatsu will take care of this under warranty.
Thanks again!

Back