Logo

1980 Crusader 454 engines replacements

just us

I have over 2400 hours on my 1980 Crusader 454 model CH350 engines. They still run fine but I'm sure they are close to the end of there useful life. What would the forum suggest for complete engine and transmission replacements. The boat is a 1980 Viking 43ft aft cabin. It weight is approximately 34000 lbs. The current transmissions are Borg Warner Velvet Drives 72C model 10-18-009 with 2:57 reduction gears. The props are 22X24 3 blade Nibral, we currently cruise at 2900 rpm's and make 18 to 20 mph. I want the replacements to be brand new complete engines and transmissions. We plan to keep this boat for many more years. Would perfer fuel injection and closed cooling.

JUST US

A pair of 8.1 HO engines with a set of Hurth gears would probably be best - hard part will be to find a pair that are new

Last edited:
Your 454’s were at the limit of gas power for a boat that size. Now that they are no longer available new you may want to reconsider remanufactured ones. I repowered my 31’ Chris Craft 12000 Lbs. with (350ci) 5.7 MPI Crusaders. They make 330 HP @ 5000 RPM and work great in my boat. But you need lots of torque. I don’t think anything new, burning gas can match your old 454’s in your application.

Just found out mercrusier has reintroduced (new builds) the old 8.2 configuration, in a standard production unit. If you want new, and want to remain gasoline burning, that may be another option to check out. Like rfdlou said, your ap needs torque and the 502's - in a MPI configuration - should make more than the 454's.

I went to the Miami boat show last February specficly to talk to the Crusader people, thats when I found out Crusader is no longer making a big block replacement. They basicly told me I was out of luck. I walked over to the Mercruiser display and they had a 8.2 liter 502 Horizon at 375 hp and a H.O.at 425 hp. They told me this was a new design that fixed all the problems that was associated with the old 502. Not sure I believe that. They also said these new engines had catalytic coverters in the exhaust and got betterfuel economy then the none catalyic engines. This maybe my only choice if I stay with gas engines. The conversion to diesel is just cost prohibitive. Anyone have any expierence with these engines.

Back