Logo

Prop for tow/work boat (20 ft' flat bottom/90

DealLakeBoater

I'm looking for prop recommendations for a prop used on a 20' flat bottom Alumacraft with a 1999 Mercury 90hp Saltwater that is used primarily at low speeds (5-10 mph) to tow 2 barges which will weigh anywhere from 15-20 tons empty/loaded. I spoke with a Mercury rep and they recommended a 4 bladed stainless prop with a 10-17 pitch. I'm not sure of the pitch of the prop I currently have, it is very beat up with chunks missing and bent blades. Any insight or help with this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

The fact that you use it at low speeds has nothing to do with the prop pitch selection. Ratings are at WOT. If you don't have a tach, get one. They sell cheap mini tachs like you see on lawnmowers that will work. Hook it up per directions. Sense wire just wraps around spark plug wire between CDI and plug.

You can take your existing prop to a prop shop and get the pitch measured. Will cost a few bucks but you need that number to save you money and obtain the performance you want in the long run.

Do it and get back.

Mark

Back