Logo

Perkins 4-107 Injection Pump Removal

spannerrash

Hi, I need to remove the injection pump from a Perkins 107 but having removed the 2 nuts and the set screw the pump will not budge. I,ve consulted the manual and previous threads on this forum but all say that you should be able to withdraw the pump after removing the 3 fixings (and all fuel lines of course).
Would really appreciate any suggestions as, like the pump,I'm well and truly stuck at the moment.
Thanks.

Spannerash,
it is possible that the pump was removed once before and the mounting gasket was put in place with gasket compound or corrosion on the nose of the pump has it stuck in place.
Use a putty knife between the mounting flange and block to break it loose.
Charlie w

Hi Charlie W, thanks for the reply, unfortunately the pump body will rotate freely as in for timing changes its the fact that it will not move backwards thats the problem. As far as I can see from the workshop manual and parts book the IP shaft splines engage with the drive hub with no other means of fastening. However,do you know if the IP shaft continues through to drive the shaft that connects to the seawater pump? it could possibly be corroded there but removing the timing cover insitu and retiming is a last resort. Any other suggestions gratefully recieved. Thanks again for your help

Spannerash, remove the sea water pump. The drive for the sw pump should pull out. With that removed use a brass drift or 3/8 brass bolt and tap the shaft aft. If you look in first to see the end of the ip shaft you might want to spray it with wd40 or equiv.
Charlie w

Charlie W, Thanks for the reply I've been away for a couple of days but will be back on the case tomorrow, thanks again for your help.
Spannerrash

Back