Logo

Bottom paint removal? Best paint to use or should I bottom paint again?

Bob & Sue

Contributing Member
Our boat is stored in an indoor rack marina most of the time it only stays in the water for a couple days at a time except in the summer we might spend 7-10 days at a time cruising in salt water mostly. It has black bottom paint on it right now I would prefer removing it and have it painted to match the Sea Ray white. The hull is in excellent condition there's just strap marks and some worn spots on the bottom paint that you see every time it's hauled out and because of the bottom paint color the marina needs to let it dry before stacking it inside so it won't drip any bleeding color on the boats below me ( glad they care about other boats or mine not being damaged ). I got a quote last August from the yard that pulled my boat out for a coupler replacement it would be the same cost either way. Any opinions on the best paint to use or should I just bottom paint again? Personally I don't like the looks of bottom paint but really don't care I want to use the best for my type of boating.

Last edited:
Bob, I actually prefer the looks of the black bottom paint. It sort of masks the foul crap that accumulates.
There are many different types that each offer a different type of protection.
The black that I use allows me to trailer my 28 SDN F/B boat.

Be sure to leave an area clear from around any metal components (1" to 1-1/2" or so)..
If a conductive paint is used, it can play hell on drive, brackets, TT, etc. when this space is not maintained.

Check with the local experts for a recommendation..... they'll know what seems to work best for your area, and for your needs.

Hi Bob & Sue,

Are you planning on painting yourself? You'll want to ensure proper surface preparation (cleaning, drying, sanding, etc.) before painting. This video is pretty helpful for the basics of surface prep.

From there, I recommend finding the right marine coating. You'll want a coating that's specifically designed for antifouling and corrosion resistance. The other thing to consider is reducing drag – you might be surprised, but drag can end up costing you a hefty sum in fuel consumption.

The guide I linked to has several options from major brands at the bottom...hope that helps.

Back